• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution of Probate Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starkeysean

What is the name of your state? CA

After the Final Account & Distribution is Filed by Attorney for Petitioner....when can money be distributed to the beneficiaries and who is responsible for the distribution? Also, what if months go by and no money is disbributed to the beneficiaries and neither the Attorney or Pettitioner can be contacted...what should the beneficiaries due to get their money?

Much Thanks

Dandy Don

How many months have passed?

What do you mean when you say they can't be contacted--are they just not responding to your phone calls or mail or are you saying they are no longer at their office address or home address and have just disappeared?

Go to the lawyer's office in person and get some type of explanation. If you can't find anything out it's time to get another probate lawyer and possibly a private investigator, if your attorney advises you to do so. Also check the probate file to find out if the executor has posted an executor's bond to protect the financial interest of the beneficiaries, unless the will specifically has language to exempt a bond.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

starkeysean

It's been about 3 months since the Final Account & Distribution Filed by Attorney for Petitioner was filled. Since then I have been told by the Petitioner, who is also a distant relative, that he has not heard from the Attorney and that he is not sure when the money will be Distruibuted. Of course, i think he is not being honest. I've call the Attorney, who has an office in Beverly Hills, but he has not responded to my 10 phone calls. I called the Superior Probate Court of Los Angeles County and they said that the money should have been distributed...but that I shoud contact the Attorney or Petitioner. So...it seems like I am just not going to get any answers. I have three sisters who are in the same boat as me....I may just have to get my own Attorney....which seems so stupid....but i am running out of options. I just want them to tell me something.....in fact....since these distant relatives are acting so strange....i am beginning to wonder if there were other assets that should be in probate that my sisters and I don't know about. By the way, this entire situation came about with my grandmothers death about 1 1/2 years ago...and since my father is not alive....his children are next in line.

tecate

The Los Angeles County Superior Court has a website you can go to to check whether the court has approved the personal representative's request for an order for final distribution. www.lasuperiorcourt.org/probatenotes/ Under the Case Summary tab, type the case number to see whether the court has approved the petition. If so, has it signed and filed the order?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">