• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtk91647

What is the name of your state? California

i was fired from a job for taking money. My boss had video footage of me taking eighty dollars. However, he had register tapes from different shifts he is using against me. I was not the only one on the registers those days, and he only has video from one day. He told me to pay him a little over a thousand dollars he claimed i took, which is a ridiculous number, i was far from the only one taking oney. When i paid him, he called me back a couple of days later asking for a thousand more. what are my rights here? what can i do?

Bretagne

Well, you have no rights. You're getting blackmailed. You can go to the police and confess the crime, but then the boss is going to deny blackmailing you and tell the cops you stole thousands, not $80.

Only chance is to go buy some fancy gadget at Radio Shack to record your phone calls with the boss. Get him to admit on tape that he is blackmailing you. Your conversation should go something like this:

You: "Dude, you know I only stole $80 and already paid you back! What's with this I need to come up with $2,000"

Boss: "As far as I know you've been stealing from me from day one, you little sh!t. You better pay me back at least two grand or I'm going to the cops."

You: "I know I did wrong, but you know I only took $80! Are you blackmailing me? How am I supposed to know that if I give you the two grand you won't go to the cops anyway?"

Boss: "You come up with two grand and we'll call it even. You have my word I won't go to the cops."

You're still going down for a crime, no doubt about it, but maybe it won't be a felony and the court will find that you've already paid your restitution!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">