• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdeameanor 4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Felixfan

What is the name of your state? VA

I have been charged with code 18.2.388 - Profane language in Public

To make a very long story short - We were stopped for going the wrong way on an old roundabout, now a one way street. The officer was VERY agressive from the get go, with not only with my husband but another individual (a security guard). I'm happy to answer questions, but my story was too long to post.Essentially - no words were spoken by me and in passing I looked at the officers badge. She told me there was nothing I needed to see on the badge and that she would see me in court. I yelled at her and cursed at her more than once. The reaction of me cursing at the airport police officer was the fact that for looking at her badge (no words spoken), she threatened to see me in court.

I understand that the worst I can get is a misdeameanor 4 and a $250 fine, however I am not sure how to plea in court. I am guilty of cursing, but feel the circumstances drove it. Advice is appreciated!!!!:confused:

Last edited:

AlanShore

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi. I had a very bad morning not too long ago. I have no legitimate excuse (as an adult) for my behavior beyond feeling very threatened. I cannot afford a lawyer, but feel that a misdemeanor on my record is wrong in this case. We have a formal complaint in process that I realize will not affect the case in court. My husband - and only witness - was issued a traffic ticket and a request to show in traffic court at the same time (different court room) as mine (mine is criminal). We know the officer in question cannot be in two places at once. I have been charged with code 18.2.388 - Profane language in Public

To make a very long story short - We were stopped for going the wrong way on an old roundabout, now a one way street. The officer was VERY agressive from the get go, with not only with my husband but another individual (a security guard). I'm happy to answer questions, but my story was too long to post.Essentially - no words were spoken by me and in passing I looked at the officers badge. She told me there was nothing I needed to see on the badge and that she would see me in court. I yelled at her and cursed at her more than once. The reaction of me cursing at the airport police officer was the fact that for looking at her badge (no words spoken), she threatened to see me in court.

I understand that the worst I can get is a misdeameanor 4 and a $250 fine, however I am not sure how to plea in court. I am guilty of cursing, but feel the circumstances drove it. Advice is appreciated!!!!:confused:

I've posted the details of my situation as per my letter to the department (names removed):
At approximately 7:35am my husband and I arrived at Airport. I was flying Northwest Air out of Terminal A. On our initial approach, we did not see the Northwest sign, and passed the entry way. We continued to slowly drive by the building which appeared to have drywall covering many of the entrances. We saw what appeared to be a roundabout, and turned left accordingly. Cars were parked along the curb facing the direction we were going, so there was no indication that we turned a wrong way until we reached a line of orange cones. Upon reaching the cones we stopped, noting they were blocking the printed cross walk.

As my husband and I were discussing the fact that I would walk to the terminal, a uniformed individual came to our window, and informed us we had made a wrong turn. As she was directing us out, another uniformed female arrived at the window and informed the first individual that she would take over and "was in control" of the situation. They appeared to discuss the situation heatedly between themselves for a moment, then the first individual walked away. The second individual,then informed my husband (who had been driving) that he had committed an offense and ignored a sign. My husband politely responded that he was sorry but did not see the sign. The second female continued to say that a "crime" had been committed. At this time neither of the uniformed individuals had identified themselves. We were unclear as to who was parking assistance, TSA, Security or Police. My husband informed the second individual that I (the passenger) was catching a flight, and asked that I be let go to catch this flight. The uniformed individual then asked my husband for his driver’s license and car registration. As he was gathering this, my husband again asked if I could go and the uniformed individual stated I could. As my husband handed her the registration, he stated that the car was registered in my name as well, to which the uniformed individual stated that I needed to stay in the car. My husband again stressed I was catching a flight, at which point the uniformed individual stated I could again go. At this time I spoke up, and stated to the uniformed individual that I was confused and needed to be told clearly whether I should stay or go. I was told clearly I could go.

I then got out of the passenger side of the car and took my suitcase from the trunk. At this time the uniformed individual (who had not yet identified herself) was standing by the rear left (driver's side) tail light with my husband’s license and the car registration. Upon taking my suitcase and walking around the driver's side of the car, I stopped next to this individual and took a moment to look at her badge, which was displayed on her chest the left. There was no contact and no conversation. I do imagine it was clear I was looking at her badge. Upon noting that I was looking, the uniformed individual grabbed the badge, informed me in a hostile manner that there was "nothing" on the badge I needed to see and if I wanted her name, she would tell it to me. In a very hostile tone she stated that her name was " and that she "would see [me] in court".

As no words had been exchanged beyond the initial communication in the car, I took the words to be a direct retaliation for me wanting to know her name. I admit that up to and including this point, I felt was behaving as a person who was abusing the authority she was given. Although my reaction was equally inappropriate, I did say to "B*tch, take me to court" and expressed my belief that I had the right to know her name. I then turned around and walked about 40 feet (approximately - I was in the crosswalk). While I was walking, took it upon her self to say that I had "just bought [my] husband a ticket". I was already upset and responded to this additional assault in a manner that is unbecoming, and did turn and yell something to the effect of what I stated earlier. I did, again, call a "B*tch" and I am certain the "F" word was used by me. At this time the original uniformed female was near me and said "whoa ma'am" or something like that. I did not pay her mind, and at this point went into the terminal to check in.

I did check in for my flight, at which point I was greeted by 3 officers (two male and one female officer). It was clear to me by the way they presented themselves that these were police officers. They were very professional. The female officer asked me for identification, which I presented to her. She did ask why I did not show my ID to at which point I indicated to her that I was never asked for my ID (which I was not until that time). This female officer asked my side of the story, which I told as stated above, expressing to her that I felt had abused her authority. The female officer informed me that had told her I called her a "C*nt", a word I do not recall using in the 36 years I've been alive. This female officer (who's name I did not get) informed me I was being "detained" until could come in to speak to me. I waited approximately 10 minutes without incident until arrived. proceeded to write my summons, as soon as she was able to have an individual provide her with the law code number needed for the charge.

Please understand that I have no issue with the charge. If in fact the use of profanity (the F word, although in the dictionary, may in fact be such a thing) in public is a criminal offense, so be it. I do, however, have concern over the way my husband and I were treated. What was simply an error on our part while trying to navigate an unfamiliar area was treated as if we had committed an malicious crime. There was no attempt on *part to assist, only to accuse and threaten.

After this experience with *, I was shocked to read what the Washington Metropolitan Airport Authority Police stood for:

"We, the members of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police Department, believe that providing superior service to all employed or traveling within our jurisdictional limits is our primary responsibility. We believe that all our efforts should be structured in order to: maintain law and order, detect and deter crime, enforce laws and regulations. We believe that a specific set of values will help us in the performance of our duties. These values are: HUMAN LIFE, INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, FAMILY, COOPERATION, PROPERTY."
Although I can say *was "enforcing a law", it was apparent she was unable to do it by placing any value on integrity, professionalism or cooperation. I was well within my legal limits to take a look at her badge, and certainly did not deserve, or provoke, her verbal threats. Although I can admit my response was wrong, it was not unprovoked.What is the name of your state?

If you want someone on this forum to help you on this site, rewrite all this into one 5 sentence paragraph. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">