• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

someone

I have a bit of a problem. I was arrested nearly 2 years ago for felony drug possesion with intent. I hired an attorny and proceeded to work with the DEA for a reduced sentence. I signed release papers for my lawyer to appear before the judge for my arreignment without me present. Twice he did not appear. The second time a warrant for my arrest was issued. My lawyer told me about it and said he had the warrant retracted.

With permision from: My prosecuter, my bail bondsman, and my lawyer I moved out of state (I was in Louisiana). I applied for a job and they did a background check and the warrant showed up. I faxed a copy to my lawyer and he said he would check into it. It has been 6 months now and he hasn't gotten back to me and hasn't returned my phone calls.

I really doubt the warrant is active because after the date of the warrant I have been in contact with the DEA (they know my home phone number), my bondsman is not looking for me, I have been pulled over 3 times and once given a traffic ticket. Also the DEA told me that my proscecutor was trying to get me off with almost nothing. It has been nearly 2 years, I have not been to arreignment yet and it seems as though they have forgoten about me. I am ready to get this over with but I don't want to be arrested again for something that is not my fault.

Will I be arrested? I really need to get my drivers license switched to my new home state (I am in Texas) and I fear they will arrest me when I try to get it. Do you know if they even check for warrants at that time?

Also how long can this case drag on?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Sounds like you have a shoddy lawyer. The smart thing to do? Get a new lawyer to a) do the background search and check status as to all warrants, criminal charges pending or done, etc and then if necessary b) attempt expungement or sealing of these records permanently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">