• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikefitz

What is the name of your state? IN

Was arrested at a 'Big 10' football game tail-gate event a few months ago. The university had a no drinking policy for alcohol consumption during game time that I (and my party) was unaware of. I was arrested by the campus security force for public intox. Now, even though I consider myself a 'good person' and think this was completely unfair, I have to deal with what happened in the best way possible.

I hired a lawyer, he appeared in court for me, and according to him I was "arrested with dismissal" and all charges were dropped.

I have questions regarding background checks as I am looking for summer internships that conduct searches on all applicants.

1. Can companies not hire me because I've been arrested?
2. If a background check company were to dig further, could they report the reason for me being arrested to the company I'm applying to work for?

Thanks.

waitinMd

You can get the charges purged off your record if they were dismissed. Call the courthouse. If you go to the courthouse, give them the case number and have them check to see if they are even still listed.

A background check would not find the charges. Even if you were going for a TS clearance or a clearance higher than TS, the investigator can't do anything with dismissed charges.

If you ever get a poly for a job that requires a clearance DON"T LIE, admit it.

mikefitz

You can get the charges purged off your record if they were dismissed. Call the courthouse. If you go to the courthouse, give them the case number and have them check to see if they are even still listed.
Actually this is a problem for me as I am studying abroad for the semester. I am in the process of submitting my resume for positions back in IN and will be out of the country until late May.

A background check would not find the charges.
Glad to hear that. However, can a company deny my employment by finding that I've simply been arrested, no matter what the charge was? Wouldn't this be illegal as in some states there are more minorities arrested that may or may not have been charged with a crime?

waitinMd

I was told by my lawyer that if the charges were dismissed, they can not hold it against you. You can be arrested, but you have to be found guilty for them to hold it against you.

You can still contact the courthouse. Write them and ask to be purged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">