• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are arrest warrants/reports considered public documents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thebeebster

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I'd like to get a copy of somebodies arrest warrant. I have her verbal permission to do so, but is it a public document whereas I could just go to the courthouse, pay a fee and obtain a copy?

Also, are mugshots public documents? (You see celebrity mugshots all over the internet and you KNOW they didn't give permission...).

Do you have to show ID, and do they generally keep a record of who requested a copy of what document?

thank you

crl620

I'd also love to know the answer to this question, if someone has it.

Also: Is the evidence/testimony backing the warrant in the public domain?

If I were to request arrest warrant information from a courthouse, what would I ask for?

More specifically, this is for a warrant issued in the state of Massachusetts, regarding possession of a Class B controlled substance and disorderly conduct.

CdwJava

Call your local courthouse and ask.

Police reports will not be readily available as these are investigative documents and rarely considered public record unless introduced in their entirety in court.

Warrants should be (unless they have yet to be served - they may be sealed if still waiting to be served). But the affidavits probably would not be immediately and readily available.

But, call the court and ask what you can look at.

- Carl

outonbail

I'd also love to know the answer to this question, if someone has it.

Also: Is the evidence/testimony backing the warrant in the public domain?

If I were to request arrest warrant information from a courthouse, what would I ask for?

More specifically, this is for a warrant issued in the state of Massachusetts, regarding possession of a Class B controlled substance and disorderly conduct.
Regardless of what state your in, I seriously doubt they are going to make it that easy to discover who the informant was, if this is what your after.
They couldn't be considered "confidential" informants if you could just look up all the supporting information on the affidavit provided to the judge when requesting that a warrant be issued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">