• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have been ripped off by 2 separate auto repair shops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

woodmeister

I have 2 separate auto repair shop nightmares.
I have a 1988 Lincoln Cont. 84,000 miles babied all it's life. Since Aug,2000, the car has been towed to an authorized FORD Lincoln Mercury shop 9 times! The Tranmission, replaced, the ENGINE replaced, the power steering, the pulley, The ALT/REG, replaced twice, the shop has been asked NUMEROUS times to go thru everything and don't let it out of the shop until it runs like a charm. Drove car out of shop and had problems a block away. Got 2nd opinion from another authorized Ford Auto repair place, They found error from Other Repair place, Leaks in Tranny, & Power steering etc. We have proof of all and need to know any help in what direction to go. We have spent $8000 or more in the past 3 months this car should be purring like a kitten.

2. We have a 1989 Huyndai Sonata, had ratteling noises under hood and we took it to a repair shop. The mechanic diagnosed the problem to be a head and Cam, He quoted us a price and we agreed to pay the price based on his opinion that he had found the problem with the noise. He quoted us $800 plus tax and the day we were to pick up the car the mechanic called us and said that he put it all back together and found a problem somewhere else than the one he fixed. He wanted us to pay for the repair he did even though he didn't fix the car and we had a problem with that. We then talked to the owner of the shop and he said that he could see our point. the mechanic had told us that we now needed a new engine. After further investigation at the shop the mechanic and the owner found out that in their opinions it was a piston and that we did not need a new engine. We asked him if indeed he WAS SURE that he had found and diagnosed the problem. He said yes! We picked up our car from the shop after paying them $1054.00 my husband noticed a slight noise under the hood and when he got home he called the shop and talked to the mechanic and he told my husband that it was probably just breaking in the new parts. we drove the car 3 times and within 1 week the car was back in their shop with some serious problems. The shop called us and told us that we had lost the engine or something but that it was not their problem and come and get our car, in so many words. We had the car towed out of there that day to a huyndai repair shop down the road. The huyndai shop found that when the other shop replaced the head gasket it didn't seal right so it fried the engine and the thermostat they replaced also malfunctioned so it cracked our radiator. the first shop thinks they aren't at fault for anything. We feel they should replace our engine and pay for the second diagnostic for inspecting the head and tows and rental cars and pay for a replacement engine. Can Any one help me?
Linda

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

woodmeister said:
I have 2 separate auto repair shop nightmares.
I have a 1988 Lincoln Cont. 84,000 miles babied all it's life. Since Aug,2000, the car has been towed to an authorized FORD Lincoln Mercury shop 9 times! The Tranmission, replaced, the ENGINE replaced, the power steering, the pulley, The ALT/REG, replaced twice, the shop has been asked NUMEROUS times to go thru everything and don't let it out of the shop until it runs like a charm. Drove car out of shop and had problems a block away. Got 2nd opinion from another authorized Ford Auto repair place, They found error from Other Repair place, Leaks in Tranny, & Power steering etc. We have proof of all and need to know any help in what direction to go. We have spent $8000 or more in the past 3 months this car should be purring like a kitten.

2. We have a 1989 Huyndai Sonata, had ratteling noises under hood and we took it to a repair shop. The mechanic diagnosed the problem to be a head and Cam, He quoted us a price and we agreed to pay the price based on his opinion that he had found the problem with the noise. He quoted us $800 plus tax and the day we were to pick up the car the mechanic called us and said that he put it all back together and found a problem somewhere else than the one he fixed. He wanted us to pay for the repair he did even though he didn't fix the car and we had a problem with that. We then talked to the owner of the shop and he said that he could see our point. the mechanic had told us that we now needed a new engine. After further investigation at the shop the mechanic and the owner found out that in their opinions it was a piston and that we did not need a new engine. We asked him if indeed he WAS SURE that he had found and diagnosed the problem. He said yes! We picked up our car from the shop after paying them $1054.00 my husband noticed a slight noise under the hood and when he got home he called the shop and talked to the mechanic and he told my husband that it was probably just breaking in the new parts. we drove the car 3 times and within 1 week the car was back in their shop with some serious problems. The shop called us and told us that we had lost the engine or something but that it was not their problem and come and get our car, in so many words. We had the car towed out of there that day to a huyndai repair shop down the road. The huyndai shop found that when the other shop replaced the head gasket it didn't seal right so it fried the engine and the thermostat they replaced also malfunctioned so it cracked our radiator. the first shop thinks they aren't at fault for anything. We feel they should replace our engine and pay for the second diagnostic for inspecting the head and tows and rental cars and pay for a replacement engine. Can Any one help me?
Linda
My response:

We'd like to assist you; however, you apparently didn't see that red writing up at the top of the page. Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to you editing your post.

IAAL

W

woodmeister

My state is Washington state

I live in the state of Washington. thnk you Linda

W

woodmeister

Hello is anyone there??????

Ok I forgot to put my state at first so now I have replied, My state is WASHINGTON. IS any one there? I am desparate to hear from any one that can help me right away!
Thank you Linda

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Hello is anyone there??????

woodmeister said:
Ok I forgot to put my state at first so now I have replied, My state is WASHINGTON. IS any one there? I am desparate to hear from any one that can help me right away!
Thank you Linda
My response:

Okay, okay, okay. Geez, we have lives too, you know ! You can't do anything today, anyway. It's a Federal Holiday today, Monday, January 15, 2001.

However, read this site for Washington State, and do as it tells you to do.

http://www.wa.gov/ago/consumer/cars/autorepr.html

IAAL

W

woodmeister

I read what you asked me to

I Thank you for your response,
How ever with my peticular problems I need alittle more info.
So with the 1989 Huyndai. Now that we have the problem diagnosed that it was the work the first shop did that created the domino disaster and lost our engine and radiator. The shop at fault doesn't want to admit their fault. In the mean time we need to know what our rights are as a consumer what to do next?

With the 1988 Lincoln, It was again towed to the shop today AGAIN. It had problems again this past Saturday. This car was again just diagnosed on Jan. 2nd,2001 and besides the leaks found in the tranny, AC, and Power steering and the back brakes replaced and they found a air pocket that they corrected they said happened when the new engine was installed sometimes air gets in there. So all of this was done last week and the car drove out of the shop with a clean bill of health, (remember this car has been in shops more than it has been on the road since AUg, 2000). So again I had to pay another tow, and stranded without a car again after paying thousands! What rights do I have in this matter? I want to have the shops pay me back for the tows and the rental cars and everything else they are resposible for. I have paid the have this car diagnosed several times now and Never has one of these problems been detected days before the problems arise. What are my options?
Thank you for your help. I didn't mean to sound so desparate but I am at my witts end with this story and need as much help as I can get.
Thnk you again, Linda

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">