• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Severance payment affect SDI eligibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmbarker

What is the name of your state? California
I became disabled on January 17, 2007 and began collecting SDI benefits from the state of California. My employer eliminated my position on February 1, 2007 and gave me an 8 weeks severance. I just completed the required quarterly disability continuation form required by the state and reported this severance income on the state form. How does this severance payment affect my eligibility for continued SDI benefits? Will my SDI benefits stop for 8 weeks? I can't get a straight answer from the State.

Ozark_Sophist

Is it SSI or SSDI? SSI is means based (income + assets). Severence pay counts against you. SSDI is merit based (also federal). Severence pay does not count against you.

From your description, it sounds as if you have SSI, but then I am not familiar with California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">