• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"to each equally" in what order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DBrenn

In Oklahoma, My dad's will said to divide everything "equally between 3 sons". My question: because the oldest has 12 in 3 generations below him, the middle son has 11 in 2 generations below him, and the youngest son has only 4 adopted kids, is there a "standard" method of distribution of stuff? If completely and only in order of age, it looks like the oldest can pick stuff for all of his family down to a great-granddaughter, before the second and third sons can pick anything. Does it make sense to pick in order of age by first generation, then in order by second generation, then in order by 3rd generation, eventually balancing out with estate cash so that essentially all 3 sons (and families) are cared for equally? Is there some typical foolproof way that is recommended to minimize conflict, hard feelings, court battles?

Last edited:

ladybg1

The division only applies to the three sons since they are all alive. It has nothing to do with who has the most kids & grandkids. When you start dividing up "things", feelings can often get hurt. Hope all 3 of you can manage to be reasonable. Handle it like picking a team, A picks 1 item,B picks an item & then C picks one & back to A.etc Then try to figure values & equalize the estate with money

BlondiePB

When you start dividing up "things", feelings can often get hurt. Hope all 3 of you can manage to be reasonable. Handle it like picking a team, A picks 1 item,B picks an item & then C picks one & back to A.etc Then try to figure values & equalize the estate with money
I'm having visions of squibblings yelling "No, I want that". ;)

nextwife

Doesn't matter if the three children are childless or have a dozen kids each, their share is 1/3 of the estate.

seniorjudge

Q: Is there some typical foolproof way that is recommended to minimize conflict, hard feelings, court battles?

A: Yes. Sell everything and split the dough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">