• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate debt exceeds assets, what do we do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rtibbs4

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.
My father in-law passed away six months ago. My wife is handling his estate and I am helping her. His only assets are his home and a small bank account. At first we thought the sale of his home would cover all debt with some left over. We found that his home, believed to be worth $350k, looks to be worth $250-260k because of major structural issues/location and before the real estate commission. His outstanding mortgage is $238k with about $50k extra debt. In the end there is $5-10k left for $50k debt. My wife and I are worried that the debtors will think we dumped the property because it is assessed at $350k. We have had the property on the market for 45 days and it is the cheapest property on the market in an affluent town. We have had a lot of people see the home and have had three offers with the highest being $260k. we want to sell it and move on but what can we do to protect ourselves from the additional creditors?

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">