• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking and Entering and Home Video surveillance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Design360

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My boyfriend and I are quite sure that our 17 year old neighbor is breaking into our home. Or someone is. Our garage has been left open randomly for no reason when I KNOW we closed it. I've also put tape on our door and found it broken when I got home the other night. I do not notice anything missing, though in the past I've had some prescribed medication missing, as well as some liquor watered down. I assume he is just coming over to party and get away from his mom next door? Whatever the reason, I feel like my privacy has been violated. I do not trust this kid. I am setting up video surveillance - pointing the camera in my living room towards the only two doors that you can enter my home from - one being the door to the garage (which is where we believe he is breaking in from), and our front door -both are right next to each other so whatever door he tries we can get him on video. The video camera is connected to my computer and is on a motion detector (via software) that will alert me by email immediately when there is movement on the camera. When I get the video I can call the police and send them to my home in hopes they will catch him in time...which will be especially helpful when I am out of town. The police know who he is because he has been arrested numerous times and has been in and out of rehab since 15....

i am going out of town this weekend and I would feel much safer with this video surveillance in place.

Basically i need to know if this video gives a clear visual of the person breaking into my home, and I can identify him as my neighbor, can I have him arrested and charged? Will the video hold up in court and convict? I know privacy laws are in place, and I am not sure if this is considered invasion of his privacy....I see this as him invading MY privacy, and feel like the video should be more than enough proof to convict.

Thanks in advance for your advice, much appreciated!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Tha would scare the crap out of me. You're certainly not invading HIS privacy with the video. Good luck.

seniorjudge

Basically i need to know if this video gives a clear visual of the person breaking into my home, and I can identify him as my neighbor, can I have him arrested and charged? Will the video hold up in court and convict? I know privacy laws are in place, and I am not sure if this is considered invasion of his privacy....I see this as him invading MY privacy, and feel like the video should be more than enough proof to convict.

Go for it.

Design360

yeah this really does not feel good...esp. when I see him everyday...i can feel in my gut he's doing this...but of course the video will show the truth...

I am questioning this because my father advised me that the video may not be able to be used to convict him in court due to Illinois Privacy laws....which is why I am posting. I need to know if I can legally use the footage to convict! If not, I am not sure what i can do to ensure he gets "busted".....may take the cops too long to get there in time..he might be gone by the time i call and get the video alert. This also concerns me...that is why I feel like the video surveillance is the only proof!!!!

seniorjudge

I am questioning this because my father advised me that the video may not be able to be used to convict him in court due to Illinois Privacy laws....

Ask pa for the cite that makes it illegal to use a videocamera in your own home.

Last edited:

Design360

No web site mentioned...he just thought I should double check into the Illinois laws to be sure that the video can be used to convict him if its clear enough. I figure someone on here would have a better understanding of these laws than i do!:)

seniorjudge

No web site mentioned...he just thought I should double check into the Illinois laws to be sure that the video can be used to convict him if its clear enough. I figure someone on here would have a better understanding of these laws than i do!:)
Sorry...I meant CITE not site.

Design360

lol got ya...nope he didn't cite from anything..just asumed...I just need confirmation on the privacy law of illinois that will allow me to use the video in court...if it is not permissible in court, i'm going to save my money and just change my locks...

Just Blue

lol got ya...nope he didn't cite from anything..just asumed...I just need confirmation on the privacy law of illinois that will allow me to use the video in court...if it is not permissible in court, i'm going to save my money and just change my locks...
After you nail the little SOB, please come back and update us!! We just love a happy ending!:cool:

AlanShore

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My boyfriend and I are quite sure that our 17 year old neighbor is breaking into our home. Or someone is. Our garage has been left open randomly for no reason when I KNOW we closed it. I've also put tape on our door and found it broken when I got home the other night. I do not notice anything missing, though in the past I've had some prescribed medication missing, as well as some liquor watered down. I assume he is just coming over to party and get away from his mom next door? Whatever the reason, I feel like my privacy has been violated. I do not trust this kid. I am setting up video surveillance - pointing the camera in my living room towards the only two doors that you can enter my home from - one being the door to the garage (which is where we believe he is breaking in from), and our front door -both are right next to each other so whatever door he tries we can get him on video. The video camera is connected to my computer and is on a motion detector (via software) that will alert me by email immediately when there is movement on the camera. When I get the video I can call the police and send them to my home in hopes they will catch him in time...which will be especially helpful when I am out of town. The police know who he is because he has been arrested numerous times and has been in and out of rehab since 15....

i am going out of town this weekend and I would feel much safer with this video surveillance in place.

Thanks in advance for your advice, much appreciated!What is the name of your state?
Your real concern should be how is someone able to break in to my house so easily, all of the time? Thats should be your biggest concern. One day the person coming in might not be a harmless 17 year old boy....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ever watch It Takes A Thief on Discovery? Garage door openers are normally set to one of very few frequencies. Anyone with a garage door opener is an easy target, especially if they leave the door between the garage and the house unlocked. When you buy a garage door opener you definitely want to change the frequency before using it.

Design360

Well...the garage you are spot on about. We are 99.9% sure he first broke into our garage when we first moved in - we DID change the frequency and the door locks when we first moved into the place....we used to hide an extra key in the garage - quite well I might add..I guess he had plenty of time while we were gone however to search well, and he found it. We think he must have found our extra key and made a copy so he can get in whenever...he does seem to always go in the garage. We've found the garage open sometimes when I know it was closed...that was the first sign. And I know I can stop all this by simply changing the locks, and the garage frequency again...and we definitely plan to do that - but only after I catch him or whoever is doing this on the camera. What if he's doing this to other people in our neighborhood too? Someone has to catch him - may as well be me. I truly hope that by him getting caught and getting arrested will make him think twice about doing this again. He needs to get caught. By me just changing the locks and preventing him from breaking into a home that isn't his, won't teach him a lesson, and won't get him caught...he could just move on to some other person! So that is why I am waiting to see if I can catch him first. After a month though, if I don't catch him, I'm changing the locks regardless...just want to give some time to see what happens. But your right, the kid isn't real stable, and right now he's just breaking in...but if no one gets him the help he needs, he'll just keep going down this same path. I do wish his mom would give him more discipline however...she turns a blind eye to his doings and pretends there is nothing wrong. After he's caught, or after I change the locks, I'd be happy to share his myspace page with you so you can see what he looks like if anyone is interested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">