• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shary

I was laid off for one week from my job for lack of work
and was given a (1564 form) to mail in to claim unemployment benefits for that week. The union at my job gives us the form (form 1564) that we need to mail in for our unemployment, and usually puts a date on the form telling us what date to have it mailed in by. They didn't put a date on the form this time so I was unsure as to when to mail it in, and because it was the Christmas Holiday season everyone was on vacation and I couldn't ask anyone. I was claiming benefits for the week of Dec 18-22. The holiday weekend started Dec 25-Jan 2 directly after the layoff period ended, so we were off for 2 weeks straight. I called the Mesc's automated system(marvin) on my assigned day Jan 1 and it told me that my claim couldn't be processed. So the very next day Jan 2nd I went down to the MESC office (in Michigan), and spent 3 hours down there waiting and filling out forms, I also noticed that the (form 1564) was different from the one I had been given to mail in. A week later I recieved a Denial letter that stated "You did not file during the week of the 23rd because you didnot know that you had to mail the form 1564 in before you called marvin, It is found that you filed your claim late without good cause, You are ineligible for benefits under SECS. 28(1)(B) and 32A" . I already had a claim open but It turns out that they say I should have mailed in the (form 1564) no later than Dec 23, so thats the only reason I got denied. While I was down at the MESC Office I saw a lot of other people from my job who had mailed their forms in on time, but it turns out the (form 1564)that we were given at our jobs were outdated, and even if I had mailed it in ontime I would have had to go down to the office and fill out new paperwork anyway. Everyone at my job who was laid off during that time had to go down there the same week I went. My job usually pays sub pay, but since I got denied for unemployment I can't get sub pay either. I would like to ask for a redetermination, and would like to know if there is anything I can put in my request that may better my chances of getting approved this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">