• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE: Misdemeanour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fliss

RE: Misdemeanour

What is the name of your state? TX

Three yrs ago while living in TX my sister in law was arrested by the store detective for shoplifting, petty theft I think they refer to it however quite a shock to her and has taught her a lesson! It was her first offence and she received a letter and paid approx $300. No court charges or reference to courts were made. Since that time she has had credit checks done and has an excellent credit rating with no mention of this isolated and only conviction. She cannot check back with the store as it has now changed to another name.

She has lived in the US for 5 yrs as a legal immigrant and is thinking of applying to become a United States Citizen. Our question is if a background check is done by the Immigration Department will anything show up?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: Our question is if a background check is done by the Immigration Department will anything show up?

A: It sure could.

xylene

What is the name of your state? TX

Three yrs ago while living in TX my sister in law was arrested by the store detective for shoplifting, petty theft I think they refer to it however quite a shock to her and has taught her a lesson! It was her first offence and she received a letter and paid approx $300. No court charges or reference to courts were made. Since that time she has had credit checks done and has an excellent credit rating with no mention of this isolated and only conviction. She cannot check back with the store as it has now changed to another name.

She has lived in the US for 5 yrs as a legal immigrant and is thinking of applying to become a United States Citizen. Our question is if a background check is done by the Immigration Department will anything show up?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?
Its possible.

Was she convicted of any crime?

IE was the letter from the COURT or from the STORE.

It is very possible the store settled the matter out of court with her and took the 300 dollars instead of pressing charges.

I can't say beyond that. Does your sister have an immigration lawyer. She really should (even without this legal issue.)

Fliss

Its possible.

Was she convicted of any crime?

IE was the letter from the COURT or from the STORE.

It is very possible the store settled the matter out of court with her and took the 300 dollars instead of pressing charges.

I can't say beyond that. Does your sister have an immigration lawyer. She really should (even without this legal issue.)

No, I reiterate no mention of courts was ever made. The letter came from the store. The store said that if she settled direct with them then no other charges would be made.

She does not have an immigration lawyer as one really isn't required to file N400, all pretty straight forward now on the computer although she isn't computer literate however her husband is. She has not told her husband (my brother) or anyone else about this offence and has kept it a secret until she confided in me just after Christmas.

As the incident was settled out of court will this make a difference or is there no clear answer?

Thank you.

Fliss

Q: Our question is if a background check is done by the Immigration Department will anything show up?

A: It sure could.

Yes, we are sure it could also however the reason for posting was to see if anyone knew for sure given her circumstances.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">