• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain in the Butt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lurias

What is the name of your state? Texas

(I am typing this on behalf of my sister who is unable to sit at a computer. --Laura)

1/13/06 I began having pain in the coccyx/rectal area of unknown origin. As of 2/28/06 the pain became so severe that I was unable to continue working. After over a year of this constant debilitating pain I have been left with a vague diagnosis (mononeuritis) and a denial of long term disability. I have had a multitude of diagnostic studies (colonscopy, transvaginal ultrasound, abdominal and lumbar spine MRI and CT scans with and without contrast, EMG, lumbar puncture, blood tests for autoimmune disorders, etc.) to determine the origin of the pain, with all the results being inconclusive or unremarkable. For the past 8 months I have been treated by a Neurologist with a speciality of pain management. I have tried numerous medications, had 2 trial implants of a neurostimulator (which resulted in ER visit requiring blood patch for "spinal headache"), numerous steriod injections, etc. and yet I spend 20-22 hours of the day lying on my left side with my legs drawn up, oftentimes crying out because of the intensity of the pain.

My PTO (along with PTO donations from co-workers) lasted about 2 months. My short term disability insurance paid the claim with no hesitation. Since having no income whatsoever for the past 11 months, I have exhausted my life savings (including inheritance from my father's death) to pay living expenses, including a $460/month COBRA.

My long term disability insurance denied the claim due to "lack of evidence in the medical record". If they require a "smoking gun" diagnosis, I am out of luck since mononeuritis is a symptom. Have any suggestions for an appeal? My LTD policy eludes to being subject to ERISA (by giving a definition of ERISA) but it does not actually state that it is. --C

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">