• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got Caught

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veryscared

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I was caught shoplifting today at Starbuck's. I was caught shoplifting eight years ago so this is not my first offense. I cannot afford an attorney and I really do not want to go to jail. I will represent myself when I get my summons and have to appear before a magistrate. I am hoping I can just only have to appear before a magistrate and have it not go beyond that. I am HIV+ and on SSDI. When the police officer arrived he asked me if I were on any medication. I am thin and I think I am at a stage where I can no longer hide my illness. I am not trying to use my illness as an excuse for what I did. I just find myself under alot of pressure all the time and do not think before I act. I am not working and have a very limited income. Is there any advice you can give me when I represent myself? I do not know what to say when I go. I do not know what the laws for your second offense in Massachusetts are but I am sure they are pretty harsh. I am so so afraid. I know I will not sleep a night until this is resolved. Also, if you will allow me to ask you one final question. When I do appear before the magistrate is that when I will get arrested and finger printed? When I shoplifted eight years ago I was finger printed, photographed and arraigned all in the same day. I wonder why all that did not happen the same way this time. Please offer me some advice if you can so I can somewhat begin to think straight again. All I do is get sicker and sicker on my stomach when I think about what I did.

AlanShore

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I was caught shoplifting today at Starbuck's. I was caught shoplifting eight years ago so this is not my first offense. I cannot afford an attorney and I really do not want to go to jail. I will represent myself when I get my summons and have to appear before a magistrate. I am hoping I can just only have to appear before a magistrate and have it not go beyond that. I am HIV+ and on SSDI. When the police officer arrived he asked me if I were on any medication. I am thin and I think I am at a stage where I can no longer hide my illness. I am not trying to use my illness as an excuse for what I did. I just find myself under alot of pressure all the time and do not think before I act. I am not working and have a very limited income. Is there any advice you can give me when I represent myself? I do not know what to say when I go. I do not know what the laws for your second offense in Massachusetts are but I am sure they are pretty harsh. I am so so afraid. I know I will not sleep a night until this is resolved. Also, if you will allow me to ask you one final question. When I do appear before the magistrate is that when I will get arrested and finger printed? When I shoplifted eight years ago I was finger printed, photographed and arraigned all in the same day. I wonder why all that did not happen the same way this time. Please offer me some advice if you can so I can somewhat begin to think straight again. All I do is get sicker and sicker on my stomach when I think about what I did.
What the heck were you trying to steal from starbucks?

See if you are eligible for a public defender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">