• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patito

What is the name of your state? CA
:eek: I got caught shoplifting at TARGET. The items were under 75 dollars. I've never been arrested. Never stole anything in my life, realy, never. What should expect from court? Should I get an attorney. Is there any place I can get real advice free? If I go to court by myself I am doing myself an injustice? How much would a lawyer charge me to represent me? Any information I can get from you all would be gratly appreciated.... Thanks...

FlyingRon

I've never been arrested. Never stole anything in my life, realy, never.
You have now.
What should expect from court?
Arrainment, trial, conviction, sentencing.
Should I get an attorney.
I would.
Is there any place I can get real advice free?
Here, Nolo press, your local legal aide society. You get what you pay for.
If I go to court by myself I am doing myself an injustice?
Possibly.
How much would a lawyer charge me to represent me?
Call one and ask. You can get a referral by looking up the local bar association in the phone book or just pick one at random from the yellow pages.

CdwJava

First things first ... were the police even involved? If they did not call the police, then you can expect a civil demand letter from the store and that should be it. If you WERE turned over to the police, it might be best to consult an attorney.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you can be assigned one by the court at arraignment if you qualify (financially). If you CAN afford an attorney, one will run you about $1,500 to $2,500 in my experience ... less if the case settles quickly. Only an attorney familiar with YOUR case and circumstances can tell you whether a plea is in your best interest, or whether you can and should fight the charge.

Many attorneys will offer a free initial consultation, so it might not hurt to call around.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">