• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Only Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jewly

What is the name of your state? California My daughter was arrested for possesion of pot and they say that she was going to try to sell some of it. She says that it wasnt hers it was a freinds and that if she didnt tell the police that it was hers then her freind would have been arrested and hes been arrested three times. If he gets in trouble one more time then hes going to prison. So she took the blaime. Now she says that she wants to tell the police whos it really was. Her and the boy no longer talk. Is it possible for her to come clean with the police and have the charge dropped. Or is she just out of luck? She goes to court in one week. Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks, Concerned MomWhat is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

She was in posession of it, thus the charge of posession. It doesn't matter *Who's* it was, she was the one carrying it on her person.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California My daughter was arrested for possesion of pot and they say that she was going to try to sell some of it. She says that it wasnt hers it was a freinds and that if she didnt tell the police that it was hers then her freind would have been arrested and hes been arrested three times. If he gets in trouble one more time then hes going to prison. So she took the blaime. Now she says that she wants to tell the police whos it really was. Her and the boy no longer talk. Is it possible for her to come clean with the police and have the charge dropped. Or is she just out of luck? She goes to court in one week. Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks, Concerned MomWhat is the name of your state?
I have a very nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale...Would you be interested??

Jewly

No she wasnt carring his pot in case they got caught. It was on her because it probably was hers. I'm just telling this site what she told me. No need to be rude about it. Thanks for your advice anyway.:eek:

AlanShore

No she wasnt carring his pot in case they got caught. It was on her because it probably was hers. I'm just telling this site what she told me. No need to be rude about it. Thanks for your advice anyway.:eek:
So your trying to help your daughter pass blame of a crime on to another kid....because she broke yup with him.....Not to mention you told us a situation of which you do not believe.....

Shay-Pari'e

If you knew it was her's, then you are enabling her by trying to get her off.

Just Blue

Of course it was hers! But ...Lets say it WAS the the other kids...hehe...She would STILL be charged with possession...Because it was in her possession...Now if the other kid were to step forward and tell the police: "Officer, the dope was mine and this poor girl was just holding it for me": Your daughter would still be charged. It is against the law to be in possession of marijuana. And if you have a lot of it, you get an Intent to Sell also!

And Shay and I were being a bit wiseguyish...sorry...It's what keeps us entertained while giving out the free advice....:eek:

Make sure you give her a good kick in the butt and get her an attorney.;)

Jewly

Shes my Daughter

Not trying to enable her. Shes my daughter and I would do anything to protect her. Certainly you can understand this**************.....that is if your a parent your self. If not please be so kind as to keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself. Thank you.

Just Blue

Not trying to enable her. Shes my daughter and I would do anything to protect her. Certainly you can understand this**************.....that is if your a parent your self. If not please be so kind as to keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself. Thank you.
I'm a parent, and if my daughter were to be in your daughters position, I would NOT be making legal inquiries to pinning the blame on another! I would help finding an attorney and that is it! The time to "protect" your daughter was when she was a kid and just starting to get into trouble...nipping it in the bud, so to speak.

AlanShore

That doesent mean I would blame the crime on another kld. I would get her a good lawyer and let her learn her lesson. A day in court is what your daughter seems to need.

Jewly

Thank you baystategirl. Your right I should have probably done something before this happened. I wasnt sure if she was smoking pot, but now I am. I guess I'll just have to get a good lawer. Wish I had known this before it happened. Guess thats what I get for not being a very good mother to her. So much for hindsight.:(

CdwJava

Jewly said:
What is the name of your state? California My daughter was arrested for possesion of pot and they say that she was going to try to sell some of it. She says that it wasnt hers it was a freinds and that if she didnt tell the police that it was hers then her freind would have been arrested and hes been arrested three times. If he gets in trouble one more time then hes going to prison. So she took the blaime. Now she says that she wants to tell the police whos it really was. Her and the boy no longer talk. Is it possible for her to come clean with the police and have the charge dropped. Or is she just out of luck? She goes to court in one week.
If she has been charged with simple possession, she faces a $100 fine and fees. If she faces a sales charge, it will be much worse (depending on what specific offenses (code sections) she is charged with.

The problem with her now 'fessing up is that she will be hard to believe. The DA or the other kid's defense attorney will have an easy time discrediting any testimony she makes: "Were you lying to the police, of are you lying now?" Either way, she is an admitted liar. Then, of course, "You're just saying this to get back at your ex boyfriend, right?"

Possession only requires dominion and control - not ownership. Sales requires a little more effort to prove. They have to show that the amount was no sufficient for personal use (packaged for sales, money, pay-owe sheets, large quantity, etc.)

She needs a good attorney. Maybe she can get a good deal to possession if she rolls over on the other kid. Or, maybe her attorney can see that she gets diversion as opposed to jail or prison time.

And contrary to many drug advocates, very, very few people (at least in CA) do jail or prison time for a first (or even a third) offense for drug possession - even small quantity sales.

- Carl

Just Blue

Thank you baystategirl. Your right I should have probably done something before this happened. I wasnt sure if she was smoking pot, but now I am. I guess I'll just have to get a good lawer. Wish I had known this before it happened. Guess thats what I get for not being a very good mother to her. So much for hindsight.:(
I don't want you to think that is what I was implying. I was not intending to criticize your parenting skills...as you said hindsight is 20/20...

Sometimes being the best parent you can be, means stepping back and letting your kids fall down.

Get her an attorney, love her...do not help her lie her way out...Good Luck...:)

Jewly

Thank you for your advice Carl. It helped me to understand much better. I will get her a lawer. Then a good swift kick in the behind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">