• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

long-term disability claim review period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TINKERBLAUM

My state is Virginia.

I filled a long-term disability claim with Aetna on February 4, 2007. I was told by Aetna that there is a 45 day review period at which time the claim will be decided upon. However, Aetna is showing a pattern of getting close to that stated 45 day deadline and then asking for additional documentation whereupon they state that the 45 day review period begins again.

I have been cooperative with their demands for documentation at each occasion. They have extended the original 45 day review period twice (135 days), each time asking for materials which they could have had at the very start.

My question is how long can they keep getting near the end of the 45 day review period and then extend it for another 45 days? Is there some regulatory requirement to (for lack of better words) put up or shut up?

TINKERBLAUMWhat is the name of your state?

moburkes

My state is Virginia.

I filled a long-term disability claim with Aetna on February 4, 2007. I was told by Aetna that there is a 45 day review period at which time the claim will be decided upon. However, Aetna is showing a pattern of getting close to that stated 45 day deadline and then asking for additional documentation whereupon they state that the 45 day review period begins again.

I have been cooperative with their demands for documentation at each occasion. They have extended the original 45 day review period twice (135 days), each time asking for materials which they could have had at the very start.

My question is how long can they keep getting near the end of the 45 day review period and then extend it for another 45 days? Is there some regulatory requirement to (for lack of better words) put up or shut up?

TINKERBLAUMWhat is the name of your state?
What does your policy say about the 45 day period? Have you contacted the department of insurance for your state? What did they ask for each time which extended the dates?

TINKERBLAUM

What does your policy say about the 45 day period? Have you contacted the department of insurance for your state? What did they ask for each time which extended the dates?[/QUOTE That is just it , they have not provided me any policy . My employer terminated me after my short term disablity was over , I have asked for it and they have not yet responded to me . The first time they asked for more info , was when they asked for any doctors visits in 05 and pharmacy records in 05 . Said they needed to determine if my condition was pre-exsisting . I gave them all they needed with that . The second request was to tell me that they just did not have enough clinical notes from the doctor that took me out of work to substantiate a claim . So I am now about to complete that process , as they only gave me 15 days to get all of that in . I am now waiting on one more doctor to send his notes . It has been nothing but a battle with them , When I call them to speak to my case worker .. I can never get him and he never returns my calls . I email him and no responce ... and no where to complain to really as I have and it just gets passed over ]

moburkes

Again, you can contact the department of insurance, however, I cannot tell, by the information in your second post, that they received information that they should have asked for in the beginning, yet failed to do so. It doesn't appear to be that way at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">