• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

california dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

califduineedhel

What is the name of your state? I lived in California about 6 years ago and got a second dui, I had 10 days to enroll in the dui class that i failed to do which led to revoking my license , i told the judge i was going to move to Virginia and complet the dui class there, he said don't botheir coming back to California. I competed the dui class in Virginia and sent proof to California but then when i called California they said that California only gives a one time life waver on completing a dui class in a different state. My first dui was 10 years earlier. now California dmv says that the only way i can get a drivers license is to go back to California and complete 1& 1/2 years of dui9 class there. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN CHANGE THAT , I COMLETED THE CLASS IN Virginia, I AM NOT SURE I CAN Pick UP MY LIFE AND MOVE Back TO California TO DO THE CLASS**************..HELP??

CourtClerk

Just so I understand...

As part of your sentence, you were required to attend a class. You knowingly failed to do so.

When the judge asked you to explain yourself, you told him you weren't going to comply with his order completing the CA program... instead, you told him that you were going to do it in another state. The judge told you, in so many words, that was unacceptable.

You went ahead and did it anyway, only to find out that the other state's class wasn't acceptable to the court.

Now, six years later, you want some way to force California to accept things on your terms?

Have I got it right?
Uhhh...yep. That's it in a nutshell. I say he's screwed, what do you say? I mean, he could TRY and appeal to the DMV and wait for them to say no.

CourtClerk

Well, it depends. If he sends a letter to CA-DMV and requests Form ID10T, completes it and sends it back, he MAY have a chance.
At this very moment, he is writing down that form number so he can call Sacramento on Monday morning. I think I have that form over at the courthouse I work at. :D I tend to go through a lot of them.

garrula lingua

DMV requires the 18 month program.
Even if the court didn't order the program, DMV would require it before reinstating driving privilege.
OP would also have to appear in the sentencing court for the Judge to order the program, so DMV will acknowledge his enrollment.

CA Judges usually don't care if you do your program out-of-state, but DMV frequently doesn't accept any out-of-state program. Ergo, no DL.

Ck with DMV on other requirements you were supposed to complete - such as the insurance to maintain in order to get your DL ... did you have SR22 insurance after the DUI ? Go over what DMV requires.

OP, I think you have to move back to CA to resolve the DL issue. Check with DMV as to the enrollment - I believe you have to have the Judge order the program.
Court Clerk should know that answer ...

outonbail

OP, I think you have to move back to CA to resolve the DL issue.
That's too bad. This is one situation where the state would be better off not mandating that a person has to return to California to resolve their legal issues. There's enough drunks traveling aimlessly all over California highways already.

FlyingRon

Yes, Outonbail, you're right. :(

Maybe OP will stay in VA ...
Only a matter of time before he gets locked up for DUI here or driving on suspended license. He can do some more jail time here and take the ASAP course again and go to cali and do the course there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">