• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deg

What is the name of your state? Illinois but occurred in Missouri.

I am looking for advice in a situation that I found myself in. Recently, we as a family went to hotel about 100 miles from our home in another state. There was my wife and myself, son and girlfriend and daughter and boyfriend. We had all went to the lounge and at the end of the day was going to our rooms. We stopped by my daughter’s room to make sure that she was alright since she was acting up and we had asked her to go on to her room. As we came by to check on her the boyfriend became confrontational and then knocked my wife to the ground after she said to just calm down. At that point I pushed him back and he struck me and I fell to the floor breaking my finger. My son came over and he started to fight with him. Charges were filed against him and he retaliated by charging my son and me. The charge was assault stating that I pushed him and threatened him. We have an unbiased witness which gave an account of most of what happened. According to the summons we were given a court date was set to answer the charges, if we fail to show it states that it would be considered a guilty plea and the monies we paid would be applied to that. While I don’t feel that I am guilty of a crime is it worth fighting the charges or is there more to this than I am seeing. If I fight the charges I can see several trips to this town and I am not sure of the legal fees. I really don’t have the means to apply to this. Having never dealt with the legal system in any manner I would appreciate some advice. Prior to this there were no ill feelings or words between anyone. As you can imagine this has turned into a nightmare and can’t wait to put this behind us.

deg

Daughter contacted my wife asking if they would drop charges would we. All we really want right now is that this all go away. Damage to the family is already done and be hard to heal. Any advice to this resolution?

Bretagne

It is actually the State of Missouri that is prosecuting you and your family members, so even if you all agree to "drop the charges", the State's not just going to say "Oh, OK, I guess if you're fine we're fine."

However, if all alleged victims agree, it is likely that the State may continue the matters for dismissal or stay the adjudication of your guilt in exchange for successful completion of some conditions. If I were the prosecutor, I would offer that you attend family counseling and anger management, and successfully complete those conditions in exchange for a dismissal. I'd also make all of you pay fines because of all the time the State already put in prosecuting you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">