• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic School Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhana13

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello Folks,

I was given traffic school to defer my speeding ticket. I am scheduled to take the course soon. The court did not and will not send the ticket information to DMV. The traffic school folks said that they will give me the certificate of completion and send the information to DMV. I am in Virginia.

My question is this: Do I want DMV knowing that I attended traffic school? Pros/cons anyone? Would my insurance not be curios to know why I took traffic school?

For court purpose, I need to send the court a copy of the traffic school certificate and all is done. What purpose will be served with sending this information to DMV?

Thank you.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello Folks,

I was given traffic school to defer my speeding ticket. I am scheduled to take the course soon. The court did not and will not send the ticket information to DMV. The traffic school folks said that they will give me the certificate of completion and send the information to DMV. I am in Virginia.

My question is this: Do I want DMV knowing that I attended traffic school? Pros/cons anyone? Would my insurance not be curios to know why I took traffic school?

For court purpose, I need to send the court a copy of the traffic school certificate and all is done. What purpose will be served with sending this information to DMV?

Thank you.
Your insurance will not know about the school unless you tell them.

FlyingRon

Thank you.
You normally don't send the information to the DMV because you won't get the option to use the driver course as a get-out-of-jail-free card unless your record was already fairly clean (hence you don't need it). You can only get to +5 no matter how good you are.

The only time I think you'd want to do both if you are a youthful operator and the course was a court deal to reduce a serious charge like reckless driving down to careless driving or the like. You need the certificate for the court, plus the DMV will come after you and try to make you take the course for getting the violation under 20. I was able to talk them into not making my daughter take the class twice.

bhana13

You normally don't send the information to the DMV because you won't get the option to use the driver course as a get-out-of-jail-free card unless your record was already fairly clean (hence you don't need it). You can only get to +5 no matter how good you are.

The only time I think you'd want to do both if you are a youthful operator and the course was a court deal to reduce a serious charge like reckless driving down to careless driving or the like. You need the certificate for the court, plus the DMV will come after you and try to make you take the course for getting the violation under 20. I was able to talk them into not making my daughter take the class twice.

The traffic school is mandated by court so I will mail them my certificate. DMV, on the other hand, I am not sure about. If I do have the information sent to DMV they will most likely credit me good points, but at renewal time for insurance, would my insurance want to know how suddenly I got so many good points? Insurance company may or may not run a check at renewal but I have known them to do so.

Would the insurance folks be like "you got a ticket and you went to court and got traffice school"? now we are are going to find a reason to hike your rate?

Thanks all.

moburkes

The traffic school is mandated by court so I will mail them my certificate. DMV, on the other hand, I am not sure about. If I do have the information sent to DMV they will most likely credit me good points, but at renewal time for insurance, would my insurance want to know how suddenly I got so many good points? Insurance company may or may not run a check at renewal but I have known them to do so.

Would the insurance folks be like "you got a ticket and you went to court and got traffice school"? now we are are going to find a reason to hike your rate?

Thanks all.
Your insurance will not know about the school unless you tell them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">