• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forensic Science Class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chigger77

What is the name of your state? IL

I am so confused and I was hoping to get some help. I am in a Forensic Science class, and I have to give a "testimony" tomorrow. I have searched my book, all over the internet, etc., and I guess I'm just not getting it. In my scenario I am supposed to be a state firearms expert testifying that someone committed suicide. I supposedly examine the body and find:

1. A bullet hole (entrance) in the head. No exit wound.
2. Stippling around bullet hole at a cirumference of 2 inches.
3. Gunshot residue on top hand of victim.

From what I have read, it looks like there would only be gunshot residue if it was a contact or close shot. That only narrows down the distance though. It could still be murder at those ranges. Does anyone have any ideas??????:confused:What is the name of your state?

Chigger77

I don't. I'm sorry, maybe I'm in the wrong place. I was just looking for some ideas, if anyone had them off hand, since I was having such a difficult time.

fairisfair

that's it??? no caliber of weapon? no other details? you said the gun powder residue is on the top hand. Do you mean on top OF the hand, or on the top hand as in the gun is held in two hands, or as in one hand is over the other?

Sorry SJ, it's boring today. LOL :eek:

Chigger77

fairisfair:
Thanks! I wish I could answer some of your questions, but that's all I was given, and it's so frustrating. I've pulled the website you gave me up and I'm about to take a look at it. I really appreciate your help! :)

Zigner:
I am trying to find information in my textbook, so please don't respond if it's only to make fun of me. Anyway, the book is just taking me in circles. For example, it says that gunshot residue is found on the hand that fired the gun. Okay, that sounds like suicide. Well, until the next sentence that says that's no proof, because gunshot residue can be found on a person that was in close proximaty to the shooting. So, if someone stuck their hand up when they were murdered, they would have gunshot residue on their hands. Everything is so ambiguous.

Chigger77

Okay, sorry...didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I am in an adult education program, so I am old enough to know that life is ambiguous and is not like TV. Although sometimes I wish it were. :D

I apologize to whomever I offended. I'm just frustrated because I am an "A" student who works very hard but is failing this class, because I'm not getting it. As I said before, I was simply trying to get some insight, and obviously misunderstood what type of forum this was.

Have a good evening. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">