• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners and Guarantees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawso008

I have been trying to access this information for a couple of hours, hopefully this will bring an answer. I am trying to find out if Indiana's Homeowners laws also include in-ground swimming pools, i.e., do pool repair companies have to give a guarantee on their work when working on an in-ground pool? I understand that Indiana law requires any company who works on a home to provide a guarantee for their work.
Thanks for your help, in advance.

D

dawso008

HomeGuru said:
Look under the Contractor's Laws.
Hello, and thanks for the note. Any idea how to go about looking under Contractor's Laws (or do you have a web site referral)? I have navigated unsuccessfully for several days now and am totally frustrated.

HomeGuru

In your State, only plumbing contractors need to be licensed.
If you state your problem, maybe I can help.

D

dawso008

HomeGuru said:
In your State, only plumbing contractors need to be licensed.
If you state your problem, maybe I can help.

We had our inground pool "repaired" last summer...or so the contractor said. The pool was not repaired. After the work was done and before the bill was paid, I asked for a guarantee for his work (we already thought the repairs had not been made properly); however, he refused. He then threatened to deal with us through a credit agency if we didn't pay the bill upon the due date. We reluctantly paid. I was told that Indiana Homeowner's Law includes a requirement that all contractor's provide guarantees on their work. My real question lies here: Is an inground pool considered part of this Indiana Homeowner's law. I'm not even sure if I am referring to the law correctly by calling it a "Homeowner's law." Your guidance is appreciated.

HomeGuru

You keep stating pool repair. Exactly what was done? Replastering, tile work, coping, pool deck, pool equipment, filter, pump, electrical, plumbing etc.

D

dawso008

HomeGuru said:
You keep stating pool repair. Exactly what was done? Replastering, tile work, coping, pool deck, pool equipment, filter, pump, electrical, plumbing etc.
We had a leak somewhere in the skimmer line - the contractor dug up a couple of areas, spent several hours doing whatever he did, and then left us with a huge bill. The leak still exists. It leaks to the skimmer line and then stops. I don't know if this would be considered plumbing type work, but the contractor is not a plumber. He is an installer (he did not install our pool) and repair company. I understand he has a bad reputation in the building community, but it appears nobody has made the effort to fight his work. It is hard to prove what he did or didn't do...all we know is that he didn't do what we hired him to do, and he refused to give a guarantee on his work. BBB was a joke - they told me that they had to have "many" claims against a contractor prior to noting anything negative on their referral.
Thanks for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Also, did you look at the State Attorney General's consumer problem site that I recommended, above ? That's where you'd get information for filing a complaint.

IAAL

D

dawso008

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Also, did you look at the State Attorney General's consumer problem site that I recommended, above ? That's where you'd get information for filing a complaint.

IAAL
I checked out the referred web site, but it doesn't sound like my complaint would apply...this isn't exactly fraud. I just finished a long drawn out Small Claims court experience (my first). The judge didn't even read the complaint before walking into court. He said it would take him days to respond, since both parties submitted so much data. Then he rendered a finding for the defendent within the next two hours. I believe it was the easiest thing to do for him, as there was volumes of information submitted by both sides. At this point, I am tired of the battle, but would like to find out if the contractor was breaking the law by not providing a guarantee for his work, i.e., is an inground pool covered under Indiana Homeowner laws. I will send the Attorney General the question and see what comes back. Again, thanks...it is more than frustrating to know you paid for nothing, you know you are right, but nobody wants to take the time to listen and correct the problem. RE: Small Claims - After the fact, I realize I should have hired an attorney (if I could have found one to take a Small Claims case), as the contractor's attorney manipulated the hearing.

D

dawso008

dawso008 said:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

IAAL
I checked out the referred web site, but it doesn't sound like my complaint would apply...this isn't exactly fraud. I just finished a long drawn out Small Claims court experience (my first). The judge didn't even read the complaint before walking into court. He said it would take him days to respond, since both parties submitted so much data. Then he rendered a finding for the defendent within the next two hours. I believe it was the easiest thing to do for him, as there was volumes of information submitted by both sides. At this point, I am tired of the battle, but would like to find out if the contractor was breaking the law by not providing a guarantee for his work, i.e., is an inground pool covered under Indiana Homeowner laws. I will send the Attorney General the question and see what comes back. Again, thanks...it is more than frustrating to know you paid for nothing, you know you are right, but nobody wants to take the time to listen and correct the problem. RE: Small Claims - After the fact, I realize I should have hired an attorney (if I could have found one to take a Small Claims case), as the contractor's attorney manipulated the hearing.
The Attorney General sent a reply to me stating they do not handle individual complaints, and provided specifically what they do. I'm still searching for anyone to give me a reference on Indiana Homeowner laws and if inground pools are considered part of that same protection for the Homeowner. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">