• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using DPOA 1st time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

A new wrinkle has cropped up in my sweet mothers care. She has dementia and I have DPOA & Heatlhcare proxy. She has lived with me and has done very well for the past year, until Easter—She fell and broke her hip and had to have hip replacement surgery.

She is currently in a rehap hospital to recover and hopefully walk well once again.
Question 1. When I sign her paperwork it often says ‘responsible party’ How am I supposed to sign? My name plus POA for ____, my name alone or her name. I know it may sound silly, but I don’t want to be on the hook for this.

Question 2. She qualifies for Florida Medicare, and I will sign her up as she may need more extended care. (This situation has her more confused then ever) She owns a inexpensive mobile home that has not sold. I don’t mind handing that over to cover her expenses, I just don’t know the best way to handle this and now times up.:(

Thanks in advance for all responses.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Florida

A new wrinkle has cropped up in my sweet mothers care. She has dementia and I have DPOA & Heatlhcare proxy. She has lived with me and has done very well for the past year, until Easter—She fell and broke her hip and had to have hip replacement surgery.

She is currently in a rehap hospital to recover and hopefully walk well once again.
Question 1. When I sign her paperwork it often says ‘responsible party’ How am I supposed to sign? My name plus POA for ____, my name alone or her name. I know it may sound silly, but I don’t want to be on the hook for this.

Question 2. She qualifies for Florida Medicare, and I will sign her up as she may need more extended care. (This situation has her more confused then ever) She owns a inexpensive mobile home that has not sold. I don’t mind handing that over to cover her expenses, I just don’t know the best way to handle this and now times up.:(

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Rosier, we both know that your mother couldn't sign a DPOA and any other such documents due to her dementia. Those papers are not valid, and you knowing so is illegal.

BlondiePB

Sign (her name) by (your name) as POA. Get her signed up for Medicaid ASAP.
As a fiduciary that signs for other people, I disagree with this example of how to sign.

Iwpat, rosier did begin guardianship for her incompetent mother. She knows perfectly well that her mother is not capable of signing a POA. Rosier and I dealt with stuff via PM's.

lwpat

For my info, how should you sign if you do have a valid POA? i know that the nursing home has to accept whatever Medicaid pays and cannot go after a third party.

BlondiePB

For my info, how should you sign if you do have a valid POA? i know that the nursing home has to accept whatever Medicaid pays and cannot go after a third party.
Not all nursing homes even accept Medicaid. When it comes to Medicare, coverage for days 1-20 of an eligible admittance is covered 100%. From days 21-100, all depends on one's other insurance, lack of insurance, any co-pays and maximum medical improvement for Medicare to continue any partial coverage. And, the nursing home MUST have a Medicare bed/room available. When a fiduciary signs contracts incorrectly, the fidicuary can make him/herself responsible for the bills.

Check your private messages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">