• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWI first offense questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheRemedy

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was pulled over in town after drinking, and received a OWI. I blew a .17 and I go to court May 2nd. I am only 18 years old. Does anyone know what kind of trouble I will be seeing? How long will my lisence be gone? What should I expect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was pulled over in town after drinking, and received a OWI. I blew a .17 and I go to court May 2nd. I am only 18 years old. Does anyone know what kind of trouble I will be seeing? How long will my lisence be gone? What should I expect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Up to $500 + costs.
93 days in jail
45 days of community service
license suspension for 2 years

Due to Michigans arcane insurance system, you will almost certainly lose your insurance and be forced into the expensive high-risk pool.

TheRemedy

Up to $500 + costs.
93 days in jail
45 days of community service
license suspension for 2 years

Due to Michigans arcane insurance system, you will almost certainly lose your insurance and be forced into the expensive high-risk pool.
Im going to jail? Haha thats tight

FlyingRon

You asked what you could be facing, those are the maximums. If you are convicted you're subject to those. Depending on the court, you may well indeed spend a few days in jail over this.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Most first offenders don't get jail time, but you need to know that the judge has that option. Spend a couple of mornings in the court and watch the proceedings. You're sure to see some DUI cases. Make yourself presentable when it's your turn.

FlyingRon

Most first offenders don't get jail time, but you need to know that the judge has that option. Spend a couple of mornings in the court and watch the proceedings. You're sure to see some DUI cases. Make yourself presentable when it's your turn.
BigMistakeFl...this ain't Florida he's talking about, it's Michigan. The Michigan courts are all over the place on this. In some counties it's highly unlikely that you'll get jail time for a first offense, in others is quite likely that you'll spend a few days. In some it's "judge roulette" as to what will happen. He needs a lawyer that specializes in OWI in the jurisdiction he has been charged in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">