• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage and Labor Law Exemptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csavino

I have been working for a small environmental consulting company in Texas (company gross >$500,000/year) for over one year. During that time, I have had to work a great deal of overtime without any compensation. My employer explained that since I was a "professional", I was exempt from the Federal laws regarding overtime pay. After reading the definition of a professional, I am not sure that I can be considered one. I have a college degree in biology, but have gone no further. Note section 1a of the Federal guidelines (http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_541/29CFR541.3.htm) regarding the definition of a "professional" for labor purposes. The thing that confuses me is this: could my college degree, or even the limited knowledge that I have gained on the job, be seen as "learning customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction", making me exempt from overtime compensation?

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">