• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my probation officer do this????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

con_FuSeD_mAn

What is the name of your state? Tx

I've been on probation for 4 years now. I just received a new probation officer. He informed me that i have a copious warrant back from 2002 (unpaid court fines), I was told that if i did not take care of this by next month may 07 he would have me arrested! Here's my argument. My old probation officer informed me of this, and told me she couldn't have me arrested forit, but that I needed to get it taken care of. This warrant does not show up on any warrant checks i have made, nor does it show when the police run my name. I have a friend who is a cop and he checked for me. So can he have me arrested for a violation?? Even though its not a warrant for a broken law :confused:

garrula lingua

"Obey all laws" = this is a term of your probation.

Your continuing warrant status is a continuous offense/violation on your part.

Why, in the world, would you want to get into a confrontation with your PO ????

Do you, maybe, see a disparity of power in this situation ?????

con_FuSeD_mAn

im not trying to cross the man, i just can't afford it right now, plus my lawyaer was supposed to take care of it back in 02. I was just curious really as what i could do to avoid this. im not a bad person, i just got in trouble this one time. i'm scared to death to go to jail, but this guy doesn't seem to want to try and "help" me. He just wants to be a d_ck head. Which is fine, i can play ball. i only have 10 months left and he picks now to bring it up!! ITS JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR THE MAN TO KEEP US DOWN!!lol:)

Bretagne

This is kiss a$$ time for you. I don't know what the policies/procedures/powers are in your jurisdiction of Texas. This may be an offense for which your probation can be violated, maybe not. I am dubious that your PO would obtain an arrest warrant over unpaid fines. More likely would be your PO could bring you back into court on a Probation Violation. This will result in the court extending your probationary period to allow you time to pay your fines, and reinstating your probation on the same terms and conditions as previously.

My recommendation: be very polite to your PO and try to set up a payment plan, then stick with it! If you want to get discharged from probation when scheduled, better get the $ paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">