• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor will not present trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonyinlasvegas

What is the name of your state? Nevada.
My grandfather died in California where he lived. My father is the executor of the trust. (My grandmother died a few years back) My father refuses to show myself and my sisters the trust. We are all sure that we are mentioned in the trust, but my father has not mentioned use as beneficieries or that we were left anything from our grandparents (monetary or otherwise). We have asked him to show us the trust, but he stated that everything in the trust has been fulfilled. What can we do? At this point, we just want to know if our father is being honest, but we feel he is hiding something since he will not show us the trust. Do we have any legal rights to viewing the trust? If so, what are they and what can we do?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Do we have any legal rights to viewing the trust? If so, what are they and what can we do?

A: To find out, hire a lawyer and sue pa.

Dandy Don

How can you be SURE that you are mentioned in the trust?

Before you hire an attorney, you need to ask him point blank IF you are named as beneficiaries in the trust (or send him a certified letter with return receipt, asking if you are named as beneficiaries of the trust that you would like to request a copy of the trust and an accounting statement). If you are NOT named as beneficiaries then you are not entitled to a copy of it.

You may also want to check at the county courthouse probate court to see if there was a will for your grandmother and grandfather and if there was, look at the probate file to see how their estates were handled. There won't be any information about the trust in that file, since trust and probate matters are handled separately but it may give you some clues about who was in charge.

The correct term for a person who handles/manages a trust is the TRUSTEE. Executor applies only to a will.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

I agree that before you hire an attorney you might want to find out if you are definitely in the trust - you indicate your father said, "everything in the trust has been fulfilled." If it has not & you are a "bene" in the trust, then you might need an attorney to look out for your interests. If you just can't find out if you are a bene (ie father will not tell you) & you are sure (like you said) that you are in the trust, you can still hire an attorney & see what they can find out for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">