• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick question regarding sentancing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dnorman

Arizona.

About 2 years ago I was convicted of a DUI and had my license suspended and I also was ordered to attend a 16 hour alcohol class as well as an alcohol screening. I completed the screening about a year ago and completely forgot about the class that I had to attend.

Fast forward a year, my parents receive a notice stating that there is now a warrant our for my arrest for being in contempt of court.

Now my question is what happens now? I did not miss this class on purpose and i would still like to attend this class, however is it too late now? I really would not like to go to jail obviously and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

dnorman

seven53

Was the 16 hour class ordered in lieu of jail time? If so, you should expect a fine for the contempt and an order to serve the original time.

outonbail

Arizona.

About 2 years ago I was convicted of a DUI and had my license suspended and I also was ordered to attend a 16 hour alcohol class as well as an alcohol screening. I completed the screening about a year ago and completely forgot about the class that I had to attend.

Fast forward a year, my parents receive a notice stating that there is now a warrant our for my arrest for being in contempt of court.

Now my question is what happens now? I did not miss this class on purpose and i would still like to attend this class, however is it too late now? I really would not like to go to jail obviously and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

dnorman
You're chances of the judge allowing you another opportunity to attend the class are much better if you go to court to resolve this voluntarily rather than being pulled in wearing handcuffs.
Forgetting about the class is about as lousy an excuse as I've ever heard. You're license is probably still suspended as well, so if you're driving you can be charged with driving on a suspended license on top of the contempt charges.

dnorman

So should I call an attorney? The judge that told me to take the class in 4 1/2 hours away from where I currently live, so can I just go to the court where I live now?

The class was not given in lue of jail time no.

And its not that I nesacarily forgot to take the class its that I had moved and never received any information regarding it, thus after a year i basically had forgotten I was suppose to take it.

So what do I do now at this point? Im currently in college also and have 3 weeks left of school so going to jail anytime soon is not an option.

thank you again

dnorman

So I need to go to the court that is 4 hours away correct? It will be impossible for me to make it there until the semester is over, should I have my attorney go to that judge than and do it for me or is that not an option either?

Thanks again.

dnorman

bump..

can someone please answer my last question! Can I have my attorney go to the judge that is 4 hours away and pleade my case for me or do I have to do it!?

Thanks again!

outonbail

You would really be better off asking you're attorney this question.

However, I suppose it is possible in certain situations for the attorney to represent you. Unfortunately, in you're case, it has gone to warrant. So the judge may want you to appear in person to quash the warrant.
I know that in California there were so many people failing to attend the court ordered alcohol classes, that they began issuing "no Bail" arrest warrants for anyone who didn't attend. I don't know if Arizona is the same in this regard or not. However, if it is a no bail warrant, you will most likely have to appear in person to resolve the issue.

Like I said, the best thing to do is ask the attorney you hire if it is possible for him to handle you're case. You may be allowed to make a phone in appearence or have other options available. An attorney working in that court on a regular basis would be able to give you all the answers you're looking for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">