• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught stealing 35 dollars worth of merchandise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xchuckx

I am in New Jersey and last evening was caught shoplifting two items worth 17 dollars apiece. For my court date, I was planning on doing nothing but pleading guilty and taking what is coming to me. My record is 1000% squeaky clean besides this. Is there any chance of me getting any time in jail for this?

Bretagne

If you have a clean record, show appropriate remorse, don't make excuses, and are well-dressed in court, you won't go to jail. Hopefully you can talk to the prosecutor at your first appearance and cut a deal.

xchuckx

The remorse is not an issue. After the 12 hours I spent in lockup, I will NEVER EVER EVER do that again.

Would it be important for me to speak to the prosecutor?

You might want to talk with an Attorney and see about Diversion programs (if offered) they can keep a conviction off your "squeeky clean" record and still meet punishment requirements

xchuckx

Can you tell me a little more about these diversions programs?

And a friend of mine who's been through this same sort of case keeps telling me to request discovery of evidence from the prosecutor and plead not guilty. It seems to me like this is shoddy advice. Any thoughts on this?

Find a criminal defense Attorney to discuss diversion for your state and if its offered and you qualify. Far as your friend well is he an Attorney? If not ignore his advice! If your guilty and you fight charge penalties will be worse and plea bargain will not be offered! If your innocent by all means fight it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">