• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a Nelson Hearing? and What is "Williams Rule"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lavendar

I live in Florida.

Two years ago, an older male friend of my underage brother was arrested for several counts of sexual assult on several kids.

I was just reviewing some information on the ongoing case, since at some point, my brother will have to testify.

I came across two things that I don't understand. Can anyone tell me what a Nelson Hearing is and what "Williams Rule" is.

I would appreicate it.

FlyingRon

I live in Florida.
Can anyone tell me what a Nelson Hearing is and what "Williams Rule" is.

I would appreicate it.
Nelson hearing is a required hearing when a defendant alleges his court-appointed counsel is ineffective. It gets it's name (like Miranda, etc..) from a famous case that established the principle.

Williams Rule covers the whether evidence about a defendant's other offenses can be introduced. Fl. STAT. 91.404(2) covers this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">