• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father was beneficiary but passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jay2k8

What is the name of your state? Ny
My aunt who lives in NY passed away about a month ago. No will has turned up as of yet though we suspect she had one. My father was very close to her but he passed away 7 years ago. allegedly she put him as a beneficiary on a 50k life insurance policy and possibly as an heir to her estate valued at roughly 800k. As an heir of my father am I or any of my siblings entitled to anything from this estate?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Ny
My aunt who lives in NY passed away about a month ago. No will has turned up as of yet though we suspect she had one. My father was very close to her but he passed away 7 years ago. allegedly she put him as a beneficiary on a 50k life insurance policy and possibly as an heir to her estate valued at roughly 800k. As an heir of my father am I or any of my siblings entitled to anything from this estate?
Q: As an heir of my father am I or any of my siblings entitled to anything from this estate?

A: You may be an heir of your AUNT. Keep reading and hire a lawyer.

On the life insurance policy, there may be listed a contingent (or alternative) beneficiary. If there is not an alternative beneficiary and your dad was listed as the beneficiary, then you may have to open an estate for your dad.

On the rest of the stuff that will go through probate, here is how that will be distributed:

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_NY.asp

New York Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of a New York decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* A surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate if the decedent is not survived by issue (i.e., descendants like children and grandchildren).
* If the decedent is survived by issue, a surviving spouse gets the first $50,000, plus one-half of the remaining property in the intestate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to:

1. Decedent's issue, taking by representation.
2. Decedent's parent or parents equally.
3. Issue of decedent's parents, taking by representation.
4. If none of the above relatives are available, but the decedent is survived by one or more grandparents or immediate issue of grandparents (i.e., decedent's aunts and uncles), half of the estate passes to the paternal grandparents if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent or to the issue of the paternal grandparents (taking by representation) if both are deceased. The other half passes to the maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving grandparent or issue of grandparent on either the paternal or maternal side, the entire estate passes to the relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half portion would. For purposes of this category, issue of grandchildren does not include issue more remote than grandchildren of such grandparents.
5. Great-grandchildren of decedent's grandparents, split one-half to the great-grandchildren of the paternal grandparents side and one-half to the great-grandchildren of the maternal grandparents side, with per capita distributions to each side. If there are no great-grandchildren of grandparents on one side, the whole amount goes to the other half (and still split per capita).

3. State of New York. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes (escheats) to the state of New York.

New York Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Relatives of the half blood inherit the same share they would inherit if they were of the whole blood.
* For purposes of eligibility, relatives conceived before a decedent's death, but born thereafter, inherit as if they were born during the decedent's lifetime.
* A parent that has refused to support or has otherwise abandoned his or her minor child (under age 21) cannot inherit from that child via intestate succession unless the parent resumes and continues their parental relationship up to the child's death. An exception does exist, however, where the parent is not at fault due to a fraudulent or deceptive adoption that results in the child being neglected.
* New York's intestate succession laws, as well as other related laws, can be found in Chapter 17-B of the New York State Consolidated Laws.

Copyright 2002 - 2007, CCH Incorporated, a Wolters Kluwer business. All Rights Reserved.

tranquility

I agree with the part about hiring a lawyer. There may be some difficulties but you seem like you could be in line for something. On the insurance policy, it would probably depend on the law the policy is covered under, but the anti-lapse portion of the Uniform Probate Code 2-706 may apply. The probate laws of New York will apply for aunt's estate if there is a will found regarding the pre-deceased heir.

nextwife

It would also depend upon whether she kept the life policy current.

Example: as my mother aged, we talked her out of maintaining a life policy, because she had sufficient assets, no more dependents, and we felt she didn't need to spend that money every month anymore, and that she could use the money in her own daily life..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">