• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Search Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alisa922

What is the name of your state?
I live in Florida in on-campus University housing and a couple of weeks ago at 6:50 in the morning the police raided our apartment. My roommates and I are unsure how they entered the apartment but there were six officers with guns out . They told us to come out of our rooms with our hands up. I was asleep at this point and the police entered my room, pulled me out of bed and handcuffed the rest of the roommates and myself, read us our rights, and told us to sit on the living room floor (Is this normal procedure for possession of cannabis?). The police informed us that they had a warrant to search two of the rooms in the apartment for cannabis. One of the occupants of the apartment was not there. They kicked in her door. They searched one rooms and found nothing. After forty minutes, they informed us that they had the wrong apartment and left. An attorney stopped by the apartment after this took place but none of the residents were there to speak to him. The local news also showed up and asked if we were “the apartment that had wrongly been broken into by the police”.
I picked up a copy of the police report the following day and it contained many factual errors. It stated that the police had arrived at 7:00 and left at 7:15, which was not the case. It also said that they realized they had the wrong apartment while reading the warrant, which was also untrue. They stated that they searched my room in the apartment although they actually searched a room two doors down. I don’t understand how the University Police can be so unfamiliar with the housing numbering system that they 1. Enter the wrong apartment and 2. Make a mistake in reporting which room number was searched after making the mistake of raiding the wrong apartment. I know this is hardly as serious as many of the threads on this site, but it seems like the police department should not be allowed to alter their reports to make their mistakes seem less serious. My parents are angry about the invasion of privacy. Is there any that can be legally be done? I’d appreciate any advice. Thank you.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

Consult an attorney to see if there is a case. Unless there are damages, or unless the act is so heinous and unreasonable that the agency settles out of court or can be hit for punitive damages in court, there may be little to do beyond a complaint to the agency. Hiring an attorney to sue them may do nothing but enrich the attorney from your pocket. But, a consultation is usually free.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">