• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land gift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daisy2

I am planning to build a house in Charlestown, Indiana in about a year, my father owns some land and has offered to give me an acre to build on. I am wondering what is the best way to avoid paying taxes, for him to gift it to me or for me to buy the acre for a dollar? Thank you.

L

loku

Gift of land

I would suggest that he give it to you as a gift. There is no income tax on giving or receiving a gift, and there is an annual exclusion from gift tax of $10,000 per donee ($20,000 if the spouse joins in the gift). That means there is no gift tax if the value of the land is less than $10,000 ($20,000, if your mother joins in the gift). And even if the value of the land is more than $10,000 (or $20,000), there is a lifetime gift tax credit that will cover it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">