• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad's Girlfriend is causing problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dashswim

What is the name of your state? Michigan-

My Dad passed away 3.5 months ago and lived with his girlfriend. They weren't getting along and he was preparing to leave her as soon as her daughter graduated this summer. I'm personal rep. of the estate. I"ve been denied access to my Dad's house (which he and his girlfriend owned as tenants in common). She has rights of possession for one year after his death as noted on the deed. I have not been allowed to properly take inventory. Is this legal? Half the house is the estates and will be mine after probate is done. I have not seen one item that is my father's since he's died.

Dandy Don

You need to be talking to a Michigan probate law attorney about this if you are looking for a determination of who gets the possessions. Right of possession may refer only to the house. You may have authority as personal representative to get a share of the items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">