• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Couldn't find a Lawyer in time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confused171

State: Oklahoma

I recently recieved a petition to appear in court because while really drunk I logged into my ex-fiance's account on an internet site and added a lot of nasty comments to her photos. The temporary PO states I can't email, mail, phone her, but the campus police said I can still be on campus...I started counseling today because I know I need help with depression and I just haven't been thinking straight for the past 7 months.

I got the petition yesterday (Thursday) to appear in court on the following Monday. No arrests or anything were made. The local police and campus police just gave me the petition and had me sign it. I know what I did was wrong, but I'd like to have legal representation because I don't know anything about things like this. I tried yesterday and today to find a lawyer but neither of the two that would be able to make it at that time could represent me. One because he's the husband of the judge, and the other because I believe they are representing my ex (they asked me who the plaintif is and after I told them they said they wouldn't be able to represent me).

Now I am stuck going alone and I have no idea what to expect. I've never been to court before. The local police told me I should be ok without an attourney because they think my ex will drop any charges if she believe I will leave her alone.

If I can't get an attourny what should I say in court? The police told me to make sure I tell them I am going to counseling. Other than that I don't know. I'm so confused about all of this and I just don't trust my ability to make informed decisions. I feel like just ending it all. I don't know why I feel that way. I've felt this way for a while. Now with all this I'm having trouble coping. I know, boo hoo, get over it. I don't know what's wrong with me the past several months.

Ozark_Sophist

At the hearing, request a continuance to allow you time to retain a lawyer. Given the short notice, it will likely be granted.

Confused171

Well, the judge denied the continuation, and twice told me to kill myself. Now I have a restraining order. I didn't even get to say my side. She didn't want to hear anything. Wouldn't even let me show her pictures I had or emails I had. I guess I am right, everybody hates me.

FlyingRon

Well, the judge denied the continuation, and twice told me to kill myself. Now I have a restraining order. I didn't even get to say my side. She didn't want to hear anything. Wouldn't even let me show her pictures I had or emails I had. I guess I am right, everybody hates me.
With that last statement, I don't doubt the judge had cause for concern in issuing the restraining order. A RO is not a conviction of a crime. Now go find a lawyer and have him petition to lift the order if he deems that advisable. Whatever you do, DO NOT VIOLATE THE ORDER.

Confused171

Oh no, I definately won't violate it. The PO doesn't bother me so much, I won't have any trouble with that. The only bad thing is that I'm in the national guard, so I won't technically be allowed to have a rifle issued to me (although sometimes they get around that).

Oh, and the pictures I had were from when my ex took pictures of us kissing with my cell phone AFTER she supposedly stopped talking to me. Didn't mean that like I had been taking pictures of her. That just came out way wrong. We even had police pull up to us while parked at a park and they, ahem, made us leave. Again, I never got to say any of that and the judge kept saying my ex had stopped talking to me months ago...which is not true. But anyways. It doesn't matter. I'll deal with it. I don't want to talk to her anyways. And there's no distance thing on it...just can't contact or go to her residence...or stalk and such. Judge said if I see her at school just to walk away.

Judge said a few nasty things to her that I thought were a bit out of line to be honest. But I can't question a judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">