• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ DWI - Recover Expenses if Charges Dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Merrill

What is the name of your state? NJ

I recently had all charges dismissed stemming from a DWI and alleged "refusal" in a NJ municipality. In light of this, is there any prospect of recovering any costs? Legal fees? The cost incurred in recovering my car after towing? Anything? If so, is the process administrative, or does it require a lawsuit? Against whom -- the police dep't? The municipality?

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? NJ

I recently had all charges dismissed stemming from a DWI and alleged "refusal" in a NJ municipality. In light of this, is there any prospect of recovering any costs? Legal fees? The cost incurred in recovering my car after towing? Anything? If so, is the process administrative, or does it require a lawsuit? Against whom -- the police dep't? The municipality?
It's possible, but you have to show pretty gross misconduct in order to recover. If they had reasonable probable cause, and conducted a timely and reasonable investigation without any malice, then you probably aren't going to get anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">