• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it against the law to go through people’s trash?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nunzia

What is the name of your state? California

We own an apartment in California and have one tenant who is going through the trash of the other neighbors. We are writing a letter to her asking her to stop going through people’s trash, however I want to know if there is against the law or not.

The tenants are shredding their private information; however don’t feel safe with a neighbor going through their trash.

Is there a law in place stating that it is illegal to go through people’s trash? I would like to include a copy of this law in our letter to her.

Nunzia

justalayman

I can't tell you for sure about California but in general, it depends where the trash is where they are looking through it.

Mr. Nixon couldn;t suppress evidence found in his trash citing privacy rights because the trash was on the public right of way.

If the trash is on private property, there is generally more control over the trash by the owner.

Since this seems to be totally on private property, I would suspect you have the right to stop him but not positive of that.

CdwJava

It depends on where the trash is, and what the ordinances are in your local jurisdiction. Generally speaking, there is no state law prohibiting a person from going through another's trash.

Where is the trash? Is it a trash can at the curb? Is it in a community trash bin?

Speak to the local police department and find out if there is an ordinance against this sort of thing.

- Carl

xylene

Each unit has their own assigned 32 gallon garbage can and they are located on our property.
If possible consider locking the can with a combo lock and give the collectors the combo. s(some Ithaca, NY residents do this to prevent trash and dash...)

Get a shredder.

Also - lessons are a good idea. Put something real nice (something that would really bait a nosy neighbor) into the trash. But strategically smear it with cat feces or some other nasty bit. You could make a half closed clever little box that when picked up drops feces or similar 'presents' on the snoop too.

CdwJava

I don't think I know of any trash company out here that will want to deal with combination locks. Nice idea, though, but that's a pretty good service though time consuming and distracting for the trash folks.

- Carl

xylene

I don't think I know of any trash company out here that will want to deal with combination locks. Nice idea, though, but that's a pretty good service though time consuming and distracting for the trash folks.

- Carl
The lock is the type with a combo for the user and a master key for the trash guys. All the residents in the complex have the same set up. It isn't appropriate for everyone but most of the household tip containers do have a lock hole.

It was done as an extreme measure to arrest the problem of non-residents placing trash in residents bins - This happens beacuse the city charges several dollars per municipally issued trash bag for those with street pickup. Damn greens.

L

LegalWithAnI

- Carl
Where do you live that they have companies pick up the trash? Here(GA) we have prisoners do it.

CdwJava

Our municipal pickups are handled by private firms. Roadside trash collection (litter, etc.) is often handled by inmate work crews .. none with Paul Newman, and none in chains.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">