• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Social Host law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendyfastino127

My son wants to have a party here but doesn't believe me about the law. Can someone please post if I am liable if underage kids are drinking and I don't supply the alcohol.

FlyingRon

If underage kids drink at your party, you are liable under more things than the social host law. As a parent you have the duty to make sure that if you host a party that your son and his guests behave. If you can't accept that responsibility, you gotta play the mean mom and not allow him to have such a party.

Make it clear, no alcohol. If any kid shows up with alcohol or previously have consumed alcohol bar the child and call their parents. If it becomes clear that alcohol was snuck in, end the party and inform the other parents.

The NJ social host law is pretty limited, but that doesn't mean you won't incur civil liability, there are countless cases of people being successfully sued in excess of the social host rules. Further, since we are talking about minors here, the child endangerment statutes come into play as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">