• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just want help, deleted other improper posts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apr35

New york

Facts:

I was issued a ticket in New York State for having a dirty license plate in June 2006.

I answered the ticket by mail pleading guilty in June 2006.

I received a notice April 2007 advising that my license would be suspended April 25, 2007, because the above mention ticket had not been answered.

I made several attempts, by phone and mail, to respond to the court who had issued the notice. My voice messages and mail were not responded to.

I eventually contacted the town justice who in turn contacted the town clerk about the issue.

The town clerk contacted me April 16, 2007 and told me to pay a fine in a certified money order to the court and the fine would be applied the day it was received.

I sent payment the next day, April 17, 2007.

I was pulled over in Georgia State for speeding on April 26, 2007.

I was arrested for driving with a suspended license.

I paid bail and was released.

I contacted the court that issued the suspension, they provided me with an April 24, 2007, document stating that the ticket was answered and my license would not be suspended.

My Question: Should I be liable for the financial burden (bail, vehicle impound, etc) when I made several attempts to resolve the issue and paid the associated fees prior to the suspension date?

HomeGuru

New york

Facts:

I was issued a ticket in New York State for having a dirty license plate in June 2006.

I answered the ticket by mail pleading guilty in June 2006.

I received a notice April 2007 advising that my license would be suspended April 25, 2007, because the above mention ticket had not been answered.

I made several attempts, by phone and mail, to respond to the court who had issued the notice. My voice messages and mail were not responded to.

I eventually contacted the town justice who in turn contacted the town clerk about the issue.

The town clerk contacted me April 16, 2007 and told me to pay a fine in a certified money order to the court and the fine would be applied the day it was received.

I sent payment the next day, April 17, 2007.

I was pulled over in Georgia State for speeding on April 26, 2007.

I was arrested for driving with a suspended license.

I paid bail and was released.

I contacted the court that issued the suspension, they provided me with an April 24, 2007, document stating that the ticket was answered and my license would not be suspended.

My Question: Should I be liable for the financial burden (bail, vehicle impound, etc) when I made several attempts to resolve the issue and paid the associated fees prior to the suspension date?
**A: yes. Stay tuned for more from others.

apr35

Well, yes. You plead guilty, but did you pay the fine associated with it?
I plead guilty and waited for a response. Honestly, I assumed it was a minor violation and after pleading guilty did not think much of it. I checked the no contest box on the ticket and sent it in, figured I would receive a response directing me to pay a fine. The next correspondence was the suspension notice, 10 months later. Regardless of this, once the notice was received, I paid the fine, it was recieved and processed April 24, 2007, one day before the suspension was scheduled to take effect.

If I paid the fine, why was I arrested? Where to go from here :(

moburkes

However, your license was probably originally suspended because you never paid the original fine. Paying it LATER only got THAT part taken care of, but you usually have to do other things (like, pay the suspension fee, get the suspension lifted) after paying the fine. Did you do any of that?

apr35

However, your license was probably originally suspended because you never paid the original fine. Paying it LATER only got THAT part taken care of, but you usually have to do other things (like, pay the suspension fee, get the suspension lifted) after paying the fine. Did you do any of that?
Thank you so much for your continued advice!

On the original recieved notice it is stated:

The Suspension Termination Fee is not payable if you appear or pay the fine/surchagre before the suspension date indicate on the form.

The suspension date indicated on the form was 04/25/2007, i paid the fine and surchagre, at total of $80.00 on 04/24/2007, a day prior to the suspension date indicated on the form.

seniorjudge

You got arrested for failure to appear at the courthouse when you were supposed to or to otherwise take care of the ticket.

In other words, just pleading guilty without sending in the dough does absolutely nothing.

apr35

You got arrested for failure to appear at the courthouse when you were supposed to or to otherwise take care of the ticket.

In other words, just pleading guilty without sending in the dough does absolutely nothing.
But the is untrue, I sent payment, and the courthouse sent me documentation stating that :

1) The driver named above (me) has responded to the ticket referred to above on April 24, 2007

2) Also, the document states the Date of Adjournment: Disposed on 04/24/07 , the day before the suspension went into effect, does that not constitute appearing at the courthouse?

moburkes

No. There are 2 sides: the courthouse and the DMV.

You may have taken care of the courthouse side, but you didn't take care of the DMV side.

apr35

No. There are 2 sides: the courthouse and the DMV.

You may have taken care of the courthouse side, but you didn't take care of the DMV side.
I contacted the DMV to resolve the issue and was told there was no action they could take, that if I wanted to correct the issue before my license was suspended that I would have to contact the courthouse. Also, the courthouse advised me that the suspension would be canceled before it even went into place. So how was I supposed to settle this with the DMV when the suspension had not even been put in place, and they told me the only people I could settle it with was the court, that they have no jurisdiction? I am not doubting your opinion, but am curious, what would you have done having been put in my situation? And what would you do at this point?

seniorjudge

Q: And what would you do at this point?

A: Satisfy both the court and the DMV; you MUST deal with these bureaucrats in writing only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">