• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt has taken over!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punkyrue

What is the name of your state? CA
I need advice on how to get my dads belongings...
My dad died in Sept.06 and had a will with my aunt as executer.In his will my brother and I were to get ALL of his personel property.When I went to pick up his things in Nov.06 EVERYTHING was gone through by both my aunts and they put things in a bed room that they "thoght I would want".I went to take some photo albums and my aunt snapped and said those were staying there.I asked about a framed picture of my grandpa and she said she took it because it was a picture of "her dad".I havent taled to them since.
My dad has a truck that he custom painted that I want.I went to the DMV to put it in my name.They told me that it was in my aunts name.The lawyer who wrote out my dads will said I just need to send her a letter and demand these things.What happens if she does not respond?
And how would I take her to court if I cant put a price on photographs and a beat up old truck??
Also,his will is not going through probate...
PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited:

tecate

This is what courts are for.

What happens if she does not respond?
And how would I take her to court if I cant put a price on photographs and a beat up old truck??

If she won't give you what's yours, and you can prove ownership, a judge has the power to force her to surrender it. My guess is, however, that this will take much time and effort to accomplish. How much time do you have?

lwpat

She is not the executor until appointed by the court. You can go to the probate court and file to be the executor. I don't know how she was able to transfer the truck without being appointed executor. Usually the DMV wants that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">