• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

_clawdia

I currently work in a small county jail in Wisconsin. Some of my co-workers and I have been subjected to an impossible situation--our supervisor, the jail administrator. He has been allowed to divide the jail staff, creating an environment of distrust and constant stress. In the past he has gone so far as to report untruths about his staff to the HR department in hopes to make them believe that we are harassing him. When the truth was revealed that we were not, nothing was done to him. He has blatantly refused to follow the sheriff's orders, he has lied to the HR department, the personnel committee/county board, he has refused to perform his duties as described by his job description, he has told inmates to watch the guards, and report to him. This has caused a very dangerous work environment. His latest act involved solicting an inmate to file a false statement against a guard in order to get the guard fired. He has told many male guards that there are too many females working in the jail, too many females working on a particular shift, and too many females in the work force period! (Do you get the impression that he doesn't like females?) He has also told a guard that there are two female guards who have been there too long, and that he'd like to see them gone. Everytime the sheriff tries to discipline this man, the ruling is overturned by the personnel committee (three of the five committee members are his friends apparently). This situation has affected us emotionally as well as physically. One officer has had a breakdown due to this man. He is currently being treated for anxiety and depression, and is now taking medication. After this latest situation with solicting an inmate, the sheriff terminated him, but the personnel committee overturned it. As of today, he had been removed from the jail, but the damage has been done. The staff is so divided; some of the staff were involved in helping this man. His victims now are expected to work as partners with these people. There is no trust. There has to be something that can be done to help us; we are desperate!!!

I don't know the law and I don't claim to. But I was in a situation similar to this one. A particular confinement officer was stealing documents from the jail, raping girls and come to find out inmates. The county jail didn't do anything about it but fire him (yet he continued to harass me and still does, they won't do anything about it, statements were filed about the papers and my rape but OOOPPPS they got lost and never made it to the DAs office). I was informed by the local OSBI agency to contact the DA about it. If you have proof of what he's doing, contact them. Maybe you can have him caught at what he's doing by a superior? Regardless of who he's friends with the DA should be impartial. If all else fails, contact a lawyer in your area to see what can be done about it. If all of you work together in this, something is bound to get done. If you can get the guards the he told there were too many female guards to speak up, that might considered sexual descrimination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">