• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dragging on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bqz

What is the name of your state? Indiana
What can I do ?The attorney in charge of an estate in which I'm a beneficiary of seems to be dragging his feet so to speak,ever thing is up to date bills(utilities,insurance,etc.) on estate,However the house has yet to be put on the market for sale.It has been since Oct 06
and nothing is being done.It is simply setting there losing money on utilities and insurance .I have called this attorney and left messages with no replies.
I'm in fear of him dragging it out so long that there will be nothing left for my family.
So what can I do to get the ball rolling here ??

MrsMoe

Let me tell you, my attorney has been slower than dirt. His taking forever to do much of anything has cost me dearly, so my advice is from dealing with this first hand.

If he doesn't return your calls, is slow, try to call around and find another attorney ASAP. Hopefully you don't live in a small town where there aren't other attornies. Otherwise he will drag it out for years.

bqz

If he doesn't return your calls, is slow, try to call around and find another attorney ASAP
I guess I should explain a little better.
I don't have a choice on this because the lady that left us a portion of her estate put him as executor of it.
Myself and one other person are the beneficiaries,I get 2/3 and he gets 1/3 of it.
It totals about 80k ,but like I said earlier I'm fearful it is going to dwindle away and I need to get the ball rolling before it does.

MrsMoe

Go down to his office in person and meet with him face to face.

If an executor is not doing their job, they can be removed by a judge. You also have the right to seek an attorney to look out for your interests, which I would do TODAY. The costs of this would come out of the estate at 50%.

bqz

"The costs of this would come out of the estate at 50%".

WOW ! at 50%. I think I 'll take my chances with the executor,Once the taxes are paid and attoreny fees are paid ;I'd probably owe someone money.Wouldn't you think!

I guess I'll have to go to his place and try to meet.
Thank you .

Any other options ??

Last edited:

anteater

Go down to his office in person and meet with him face to face.

If an executor is not doing their job, they can be removed by a judge. You also have the right to seek an attorney to look out for your interests, which I would do TODAY. The costs of this would come out of the estate at 50%.
Where did you get that information?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">