• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michael Vick/Dog Fighting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tj1320

What is the name of your state? VA?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/04/26/bc.fbn.vickinvestigatio.ap/index.html

I'm a member of a NFL message board and we are having a discussion about Michael Vick's liability in all of this since he does own the property. I think he will be held responsible but other members on the message board think that he won't be held liable because there is no proof that he knew anything about the dog fighting. Can you guys please explain things for me so I can relay the info to the other members? Thanks.

Some Random Guy

He owned the property but a relative (brother?) lived there. Even if he's not paying rent, the relative is considered a month to month rentor by the courts. The relative who lives there bears the brunt of the responsibility.

Michael Vick's liability depends on several things:
Who bought the dogs?
Who trained the dogs?
Has Michael been on the property since the dogs arrived?
Did Michael attend any of the dog fights?
Have any of Michael's employees, property managers, etc. been on the property since the dogs arrived?
Is there any proof that Michael was informed of the dog fighting activity before the police raid?
How conceivable is it that a large scale dog fighting operation could be missed by Michael or his representatives when they were visiting the property?

Most dog fighting laws revolve around owning the dogs, training them, organizing fights and attending fights. Owning the property as an absentee landlord is not sufficient to make him criminally liable.

tj1320

Thanks a bunch. I'll relay that info to the other members and hopefully that will clarify things for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">