• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dwi/dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trekcid

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I am on probation in one county for a DWI, the probation ends on June 20. I will have completed all aspects of the probation and have the charges dropped - hopefully before this event goes on the books. However, I was in an accident (DUI) on May 1 in a different county. The officer drew blood, as I was in the ambulance. No one else was involved. Nothing has been given to me, nor did an officer come to see me in the hospital. Furthermore, the paramedics and officer had a conversation about the blood drawn, as they were supposed to fill four tubes but only got a little over 2. I am scheduled to see an attorney (who said the cost would be $7 to $10K to represent me). My question:

1) How long before an officer will show up at my house (I have been told it could take up to two months) and what is likely to happen - will he arrest me and take me to jail on the spot? Are chances good I will go to jail?

2) While I am pretty sure I will lose my license, are there options that include the opportunity to keep my license for the purpose of getting to and from work?

3) Do these legal fees seem "par" for this situation, or are these fees a bit outrageous for legal defense?

4) If I move out of state, even immediately, what are my obligations to Oklahoma, if I move to say, Virginia?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

1) How long before an officer will show up at my house (I have been told it could take up to two months) and what is likely to happen - will he arrest me and take me to jail on the spot? Are chances good I will go to jail?
That's all possible.

2) While I am pretty sure I will lose my license, are there options that include the opportunity to keep my license for the purpose of getting to and from work?
It's possible, but it depends on the result of the license revocation. It also requires an ignition interlock.
3) Do these legal fees seem "par" for this situation, or are these fees a bit outrageous for legal defense?
Seeing how this is your second offense, and that there may be some issues defending you against probation violation, it probably isn't too far off.
4) If I move out of state, even immediately, what are my obligations to Oklahoma, if I move to say, Virginia?
You'd be in violation of your probation and they would probably put out a warrant for you for that. They'd also probably put out a warrant for you for the new charge. Further, your drivers license will be revoked anyhow and you won't be able to get one in any compact state (including virginia) until your Oklahoma issues are cleared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">