• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CITYGIRL811

What is the name of your state? NY

I just found some paperwork from years ago. My Dad passed away in 1986 at the time he had a pension that was set aside for me and my sister. At the time it was only about $700 for each of us. I never acted on it. Is there any way to get that money and if so where do I begin? He worked for the Board of Ed in New York City.

Dandy Don

Contact the Board of Education and they should be able to give you the number of their pension department where they can check their records on this. You may also want to look at the website for New York State Unclaimed Property to see if perhaps the pension money was reported to them for safekeeping.

If he didn't name anyone as beneficiaries, this money may be payable to his estate and you may need to go to the county courthouse to file paperwork to open up probate for this.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">