• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drunk passenger, parent of minor driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glenn88

What is the name of your state? Colorado

An acquaintance of mine left a party while obviously drunk. He was the passenger and his 17 year old child (with a valid license and completely sober) drove him home. I have heard that the adult passenger can be arrested for DUI and even child abuse in this situation. Does anyone know the colorado law regarding this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Colorado

An acquaintance of mine left a party while obviously drunk. He was the passenger and his 17 year old child (with a valid license and completely sober) drove him home. I have heard that the adult passenger can be arrested for DUI and even child abuse in this situation. Does anyone know the colorado law regarding this?
That would only make sense if the minor had a permit, as opposed to a license...

PainInTheRear

Yeah - I would say that if the minor had a valid drivers licence that that is ok. Now if the drunk adult DROVE the car with the minor in it - big problems. I believe it is if the drunk person drives a minor child under the age of 18 - that can cause huge problems. I just read that today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">