• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website content copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Membrain

Okay, here's the deal. I run a website and I hired 4 people to become writers for the site. They completed a few articles in their short time at my site. Now three of them have left to make their own website, they want to take all their work with them. At the bottom of every page at our site we have a copyright notice that reads as such "All materials on this site including content, graphics, flash, ideas © Site-name-removed.com 2000-2001 and may not be copied without prior permission from administration."

Now this should mean that they cannot remove the work from my site and that they cannot use it on their own site, is that correct? The only valid reason coming from them at the moment is that they think that since they wrote it is is copyrighted to them, when it clearly states (and they knew that) that all content is copyrighted to my site.

Am I right in keeping the work and stopping them from using it at a future site? Thanks.

HomeGuru

It depends and is predicated on the fact of if the 3 hired people that left were your direct employees or just independent contractors. Was the website content created under an employer-employee or IC work-for-hire arrangement?

BelizeBreeze

Membrain said:
They worked under an employer-employee arrangement
That is NOT an answer.

How were they paid?
From where did they work?
Did they have a contract?
YOu know, were they employees or contractors? And if you don't know enough to know the answers, how the HELL do you expect an answer from us?

divgradcurl

In addition to what BB asked, what state are you in? Different states define "employee" differently -- although almost all of them require, at a minimum, that you pay their payroll taxes and give them a W-2 at the end of the year; if you gave them a 1099, they are not employees for the purposes at hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">