• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to court - Probation, Moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjmjuly

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am going to court in late June for a DUI I received in late March. (See my other threads) I have done alot of things to prepare myself as far as classes, evaluation etc.
Here is my question: My husband is in the Navy and we are scheduled to move from Northern Virginia to San Diego in August. This DUI is my first (and last btw,,,) and I am hoping to receive probation. Will the court allow me to make arrangements to transfer my responsibilities to from Virginia to California? I have no problem paying any fines I receive in full the day I am sentenced, and will do whatever the court tells me I need to do to take care of my situation. But I have seen some other posts on this site saying the court doesn't like to hear the "moving" excuse. However in my case it's not an excuse, it's reality. I am not trying to get out of paying my debt to society, I just want to be able to do it from California. Any input would be appreciated.

FlyingRon

Probation transfers are generally pretty straight forward. You probably are going to have some difficulty with drivers licenses (and may have to come back to Virginia to get reinstated).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">