• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex boyfriend- mail tampering?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susie6

What is the name of your state? ohio

I have a situation and would like to know if it was mail tampering/what the penalties are. My ex and I are recently on fairly good terms, and he just admitted to me that 5 years ago when we were in college, he opened a letter that was addressed to me. He worked in the campus mailroom at the time, and were broken up at this point. I had no idea he had done this- the letter in question was sent to me by another man- my ex saw the man's return address on the envelope, which is why he opened it. He was suspicious that this man and I had cheated while we were together. He didn't steal/damage the contents, he just opened it, read it, and resealed and stuck it in my mailbox. He admitted it to me because he feels guilty but he doesn't seem to think this was a crime! I don't have plans to do anything about this, but would like to know is this mail tampering? If I were to tell the police, would they take this seriously, or has too much time passed? I also wonder if they would not take it seriously because he only did it once, the nature of what he did was personal (not like he was stealing checks or money out of people's mail) and has no previous criminal record. Could he go to jail for this as a first offence in mail tampering? I would just like to know what the law is so I can inform him!!! Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">